Co-play

kaylalani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello! I have a 2 year old cat, Nova, and recently got a 3mo old kitten, Fiur. The integration has gone pretty well, except for playing. Fiur will go after every toy we use, even if I have one in each hand. Nova looks interested, but always lets Fiur go after the toys. We tried a laser, but it made Fiur jump on nova when it wasn't on. She gets pretty irritated when he attacks her when she's trying to play (understandably so!). She seems sad that we aren't playing with her as much, but it isn't for lack of trying! What should I do?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try taking Nova into a room of her own and play with her there or put the kitten away for a bit so that Nova can have some alone time.  Also when you play really try to get her moving.  Do you have a da bird wand toy?  They are the best.  Allow her to pounce and "kill" the feather.  Once she is done playing reward her with a small meal or special treat.  This will help to complete the cycle of hunt, kill, eat.  The cat hunts its prey, plays with the prey, kills the prey and then eats the prey.  When cats play, the last step is often forgotten.  For a cat, it is sad not to get to eat the prey. 

Also be sure that introductions are being followed.  You do not want their to be issues where the kitten continues to pounce on your resident cat and then a few weeks down the road, the resident cat, retaliates and hurts the kitten.  Just use your judgement and be sure there is no growling, hissing, biting, ears going flat, tails swishing or tapping, etc.. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kaylalani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! If I do start to see those things, should I start the introduction over?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

kaylalani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks again! I did a lot of research before introducing them, and Jackson Galaxy definitely played a part :)

We did the safe room, site swapping, and then played with each cat while they were in the same room. We then gradually increased the amount of time they spent in the same room. After about 2 weeks they were spending all their time together, and for the most part just ignored each other. We tried the food thing, but Nova just refused to eat for 2 days so we haven't tried that again.

Just today they got in a good fight where Nova hissed at Fiur a few times. They've had a hard time together today for sure. I separated them again, and went and got a da bird toy. Nova was mildly excited, but wouldn't eat any treats during, and lost interest after about 15 min.

I might try the meal times again, but can I just separate them at meals, (and some play/alone time periodically) or do they need to be separated all day again?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks again! I did a lot of research before introducing them, and Jackson Galaxy definitely played a part

We did the safe room, site swapping, and then played with each cat while they were in the same room. We then gradually increased the amount of time they spent in the same room. After about 2 weeks they were spending all their time together, and for the most part just ignored each other. We tried the food thing, but Nova just refused to eat for 2 days so we haven't tried that again.

Just today they got in a good fight where Nova hissed at Fiur a few times. They've had a hard time together today for sure. I separated them again, and went and got a da bird toy. Nova was mildly excited, but wouldn't eat any treats during, and lost interest after about 15 min.

I might try the meal times again, but can I just separate them at meals, (and some play/alone time periodically) or do they need to be separated all day again?
As for the da bird and playing with Nova.  Try just rewarding her with something extra yummy after a play session.  Not just plain treats.  Try plain cooked chicken, canned salmon, canned tuna or asmall portion of wet food.  You want it to be special.  Make sure Fiur is not aroound.

As for keeping them separated, if all out fur flying fights are happening, they need to be separated 24/7 until reintroductions are going better. 

I also used a large dog cage for introductions.  I placed one cat inside and then covered it with a sheet on 3 sides.  I allowed the other cat to sniff while providing treats of plain cooked chicken.  I offered it to both the cat in the cage and the sniffing.  At first the session only lasted a minute or two.  Once hissing, growling or yowling starts, the session is over.  I did this 3-5x a day.  After a few days, they understood that yummy chicken was coming and they got more comfortable with each other. 

When I got to the point where the cats were out and about together and I heard trouble brewing, I would separate them before a fight occured by distracting with a toy or treat.  If the attack happened, I would then take the aggressor and place him in time out.  The cat stayed in another room for 15-60 minutes.  I then allowed the cat back out.  If another attack happened, I did time out again.  If it happened a 3rd time, the cats were separated the remainder of the day.

What happens to the cats at night? 

kaylalani

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Nova did pretty well with some wet food at the end of play time :)

They aren't full on fights they get in, Fiur just doesn't know when to stop. I played with them each individually for 15 minutes and fed them some wet food after and they still tussled for a bit after. Sometimes they're totally appropriate and sleep together, so it's strange.

They're pretty good at night as far as I know. I work night shift 3 nights a week and they are always very excited when I get home, so I spend a bit playing with them before I go to sleep. Fiur inevitably wakes me up around 10 though so hopefully he grows out of that...

Thank you for all of your advice!