Clumping vs. non-clumping litter

fluffybeard

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat uses pine pellet litter - usually Feline Pine or the Petco version - for my own selfish reasons. I can't stand the smell of kitty litter and I'm in a studio apartment so I can't really get away from it.

But pine litter is better for my nose and luckily my cat never had an issue with it. He used it happily right away. But I know many cats will refuse to use pine litter!

nightowl007

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I did notice when it's time to change Dr. Elsey's litter is getting old urine runs to bottom and gets sticky, I also noticed the litter seems to get darker.  I added fresh litter ever other day. A layer across the top seems to freshen the box up. Then I did not add any the week I was going to change out the entire box and wash it. Also  people in small apartments or like me with the "cat nursery"where I have three litter boxes in one room. I got a pet air purifier from HomeDepot, about $48.00. The difference it made in the room was remarkable.No smell no dust.It also removes cat dander from the air. I had a friend with no cats come do a smell test. She could not believe the difference.

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

...pet air purifier from HomeDepot, about $48.00. The difference it made in the room was remarkable.No smell no dust.It also removes cat dander from the air. I had a friend with no cats come do a smell test. She could not believe the difference.
tell me more about this air purifier.... i'm always at home depot and i've never seen such a thing

but then again, i'm not really looking for pet products at home depot

bluebird gal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok

I'm telling you, try the new A&H Clump &Seal! I've tried everything on the market including the new clay free products. They all smell like the zoo to me! I love Dr. Elseys and have been using it for a couple years until this new Clump & Seal. Give it a shot!laughing02.gif
It has been 3wks now that I switched our boys over to this litter and a new enclosed litter box.  (Was using the Tidy Cat Breeze system with one cat) 

Both boys seem to love this litter.  There was zero transition to it.  In fact, the older boy was in the box using it before I could get the new litter box top completely put together ... even though the old box was sitting right next to him!    Since there is very minimal tracking, even out of a litter box as deep as we purchased, we just put down a small, paw print litter catcher mat.   We have been very happy thus far.

stormi71

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Not sure if you can get this worldwide, but I am using the Ozpet system with my new kitty. I love it, I wish I'd used it with my last cat. It is wood pellets, but the litter box is a two tray system. The top is like a sieve tray, and a normal tray underneath. When kitty pees, the pellets break down to sawdust that fall through to the bottom tray. I use way less litter than with other types. I just scoop the poop, then you can shake the top tray to get any extra sawdust bits down to the bottom. So the litter in the top tray is essentially always clean litter, and you just top up as needed. My sister-in-law suggested using a litter liner in the bottom tray, which makes cleaning out the bottom tray much easier. Plus there is no pee smell! My last cat I used paper pellets (Breeders Choice brand), and although they were quite good, they would get tracked everywhere and you could smell the pee.

barbgee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love the clumping, but HATE the dust...

I've got the litter box on the second floor in a carpeted room.  The electronics attract the litter dust.  When I vacuum, I get visible dust or silt in the bottom of the bagless vac that I can see.  The air filter on the furnace is gray when I change it, and it didn't used to be like this before Kitty came into my house.

I'm wary to start changing litter on Kitty, but the dust is just too much to deal with...

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The thing to do about too much dust is to change litters. Each brand has varying amounts of dust, keep looking until you find the right one, good luck!

pangurban

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We have two cats and two open top boxes in a bathroom.

We have been using Dr. Elsey's Precious Cat in the blue bag. It clumps very, very tightly. I feel like if I were to try and throw one of these things it could cause some damage. Lol! I do wish it did more for odor control and didn't track so badly, but there is pretty much ZERO dust which is great. The cats use it no problem. When a pet store near us opened they gave away cat litter so I picked up a bag of the Precious Cat for seniors/pregnant cats. It is a type of crystalline litter. The cats don't hate it, but they don't like it. It tracks so, so much worse than the clay littler. I am sweeping and vacuuming every day whereas I could sweep daily and vacuum every other day or so with just the clay. We have the boxes next to one another and they definitely prefer the clay.