clumping litter Poll

grissom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I like Tidy Cat, Multi cat. It seems to not be as dusty. I know it isn't the best of litters, but that was all Bobo would use so I guess I'm sorta partial to it.

tuxedokitties

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've decided that my favorite is the crystal litter, but it's just too expensive for so many cats.
If I only had to have one box I would definitely stick with it - it really controls odor well, and hardly tracks at all!

But until we get rich I'll stick with Feline Pine - it seems to be the least tracking of the more affordable litters. I like clumping litter (and so do my cats), but the tracking drives me crazy.

allissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tuxedokitties

I've decided that my favorite is the crystal litter, but it's just too expensive for so many cats.
If I only had to have one box I would definitely stick with it - it really controls odor well, and hardly tracks at all!

But until we get rich I'll stick with Feline Pine - it seems to be the least tracking of the more affordable litters. I like clumping litter (and so do my cats), but the tracking drives me crazy.
I tried Feline Pine today.
I did as they said, put 1 inch on the bottom, and added his old clamping litter on top. It didn't fool him. He was meowing so pitifully, he went to his litter box, he meowed, he went out into the kichen. I took him from the kichen and put him in a litter box, saying "Good boy". Finally, after complaining, he used his litter box. I hope he can switch, because Feline Pine isn't dusty at all.

emma's friend

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
FYI regarding Feline Pine

I think it is a great idea and good product; HOWEVER, one of my cats absolutely hated it and quit using the litterbox. I don't know what he objected to, but he began "going: everywhere around the house (if you know what I mean).

kathryn41

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have used a variety of different litters and mixes. What I have right now does a really good job - I mix half s'weat and half flushable clay litter together in three boxes. The s'weat by itself is too sticky and is difficult to unstick from the liners or the sides of the boxes whereas the clay by itself - even the clumping kind- gets a strong ammonia smell sometimes. I have three cats and three boxes. The s'weat absorbs the ordour much better than any of the clay blends, and using both I get the best of both worlds - a bio-degradable clumping litter that can be scooped, flushed, doesn't cause problems if ingested since it breaks down with water and doesn't have a strong odor, that the cats use, and like and enjoy digging in. The cost is a bit more than the regular clumping litter but the benefits are worth it.

Kathryn

allissa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Emma's Friend

FYI regarding Feline Pine

I think it is a great idea and good product; HOWEVER, one of my cats absolutely hated it and quit using the litterbox. I don't know what he objected to, but he began "going: everywhere around the house (if you know what I mean).
Yep. I didn't like it. I switched and now use World's Best Cat litter. I love it.
I tried Sweat Scoop but it was hideious because it kept sticking to the bottom of the pan and was driving me bonkers. Now, World's Best Cat litter is flashable and made from corn, it clamps and does not stick to the bottom of the pan.

juniper

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I've been through SO many litters in the past six months! First, I was using a cheap, store brand non-clumping clay litter - really the only good thing about it was that it was cheap, I spent around $6 a month on it. It was horribly dusty, though, and didn't keep the smell down at all. And it was a lot of work, I had to change the entire thing every other day, and it didn't go far, I went through about 24 kg a month for two cats! Not to mention that the risks associated with clay made me nervous.

Then, I switched to Daily Scoops, which was made from recycled newspaper (non-clumping). I liked that it didn't have the risks of clay, and that it was environmentally friendly and reasonably priced ($17 a month). It also lasted much longer - I only used about 10 kg a month, for three cats. But it was still a lot of work, I was changing it every day for three cats, and the smell was HORRIBLE, the cats would use it once and it would completely reek (not of urine, but of wet newspaper).

So, I switched to Arm N Hammer clumping litter (multicat formula). It was also reasonably priced (around $20 a month, I think), and kept the smell down very well, and it was much less work because it was clumping and I could just scoop it rather than chane the whole box every day, but again, the fact that it was clay worried me, and it was also very messy, dust and pieces of litter everywhere! And then, I noticed it had turned the cats' feet green! This really scared me, I don't want them stepping in something that's going to dye their paws; who knows if that's safe! At any rate, it pretty gross.

So I switched again, this time to World's Best Cat Litter (extra strength) - so far (mind you I've only been using it for a couple of days), it's my dream litter.
Eco-friendly, not made from clay, so no silica and no health risks, not dusty, clumping and flushable, which saves a lot of work, great for smell... it's more expensive than I'd like, but I can deal with that, if it stays this good.

Okay, that turned into a novel - sorry!

charcoal

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the Fresh Step cedar one for Char. He seems to like it. He didn't fuss or refuse to go when I switched litter either so that must be a good thing. Only thing is he likes to play in it when it is clean

juniper

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by portdevoix

Okay, I hear so many raves about the World's Best Litter...

Can anyone tell me how much it costs?
I had been paying $28 for a 17 lb. bag, but now I've found the same size bag at Petsmart for $22. However, I'm in Canada, and everything is always much more expensive here, even when you figure in the currency change
, so it's likely cheaper there. It's definitely one of the more expensive litters, but not *really* expensive because it lasts quite long (and at any rate, it's soooo worth it IMO!).

l.trant

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We use the clumping litter, (as we have a littermaid cat box). I used it before that too and seem to like it as it cleans up better for me.

mikonu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Tigger

How many of you use clumping litter, and how many of you use the regular non-clumping litter??
How many of you are concerned about the risks of using clumping? I ask because I put clumping litter in a box last week, and have scooped every day. I normally have to change the non-clumping every other week. I've also noticed there is no smell with the clumping, versus the non-clumping.
I refuse to use anything else but clumping liter.
It is MUCH easier to clean and more "sanitary" (in my opinion). I use The World's Best Cat Litter, so I have no concerns about them breathing in the dust as it is made from ground corn. I haven't noticed any odors, and so far it's last a lot longer than the Arm & Hammer litter I used before. Good stuff.

cirque

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I also use "Feline Pine" and love it! You CAN scoop and flush, its pellets when it first starts out, its made from wood, theres no silica dust, it doesnt stick to the cat paws and get in between their toes or track onto your furnature with little clay foot prints, its easy to vaccum or sweep up, it controls oder and excessive urine extreamly well and it is a breeze to pull a grabage bag around the litter box, give it a tap or two and toss the bag into the trash. Once in awhile a quick rinse of the litter box is all thats needed. I will never go back to "traditional" clay, clumping or crystal litter again. Besides, wood is SO absorbant, its hard to beat nature.