Clumping litter concern

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
What is World's best made out of? Does it clump?

My issue with plain clay litter is the difficulty in scooping. It wasn't a hardship before, but my body doesn't do what I want it to as well now, and scooping a large amount of pee from a box filled with plain clay litter is getting rough.

It's not that I don't scoop often enough, I scoop four or more times a day. It's just that sometimes the cats don't pee as often as they should (they hold it I mean, probably when they are sleeping a long time when I am working a long day) and when they do, of course there's a ton.

Thank you to everyone who is replying in this thread, all your posts are informative and useful to me, I haven't time now to reply more.

ellebob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wood pellets have definitely been the best option in terms of weight we've used. We just tended to use the cheap stuff or what was on offer so we tried out a lot and that's what I'd recommend.

2furgirls

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have been told by different vets over the years, cat litter of all kinds, all have something that might disagree with a particular cat, or household. They might become allergic to the wheat or corn or whatever the products is. Or not. The dust gets into my lungs much less theirs. Certainly we've tried them all (incl. WBCL), and I am not satisfied with the State of Cat Litter in general. We've settled on Sweat the last 2-3 years-I hate it!

We have two active young cats, three litter boxes for the two of them. They excrete 6-8 tinkles and 2 poops per day = approx 8-10 uses/day, worst case scenario. Sweat wheat litter tracks horribly. I change the boxes out once a week, scoop the poops/tinkles out twice a day (early am, late pm). And sweep/vaccum twice a day.

We use two 14 pound bags of Sweat per week, so spend $22 per week on litter = $1,122 per year, yikes.

Just this past Friday I ran some numbers on litter alternatives. I've seen this thing the Cat Genie system in the stores.

The Cat Genie system is a flush based system over plastic litter-like granules. You have to replace their plastic-litter-granule-washing fluid (cartridge based) - and the washable granules from time to time. I figured generously these consumables would cost me about $185 per year (4-5 cartridges, 4 sets of granules). Each cartridge gives 240 flushes (you can set the flushes per use, or per time period, or manually) = 80 days at 3 flushes per day.

Since the Cat Genie system costs around $300 to buy the unit, plus some accessories, my annual costs would be $300 plus $185 = $485, = HALF of what I am paying now (the two 10 dollar 14 pound bags of Sweat) near-premium cat litter. I can't lift or manage a single heaver bag to get the volume discount in price.

I would rather take the $400 odd savings and donate to cat rescue shelters than spend over a grand on kitty litter per year! In this economy!!

BUT, does the Cat Genie system work? I have read all 111 reviews on the product on Amazon and still can't make up my mind. Anyone here tried it? Any advice? I understand the new version Cat Genie 120 cured many of the problems the initial product had, but I still don't know.

Thanks for any feedback.

PS I didn't even figure in the cost of jumbo cat pan liners, plus the additional plastic sacks I place under the liners as my cats are vigorous/industrious poop coverers, the baby takes 5 minutes to bury/package her poops to her satisfaction. Any holes allow tinkles to make contact with the pan, and that sets up a stench in no time. I have a keen sense of smell which is not advantageous in this matter.