Clumping Kitty Litter or Non-Clumping

cheddar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was told to use non-clumping kitty litter for young kittens. I'm finding it a bit hard to keep his litter box clean since his pee doesn't clump as good. Does anyone know what the reasoning is behind not using the clumping type?

emandjee

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Cheddar,

I believe the main reasoning behind avoid using scoopable clay litter is because it can cause some serious problems if a very young kitten ingests it...causing intestinal blockages and eventually, death. The rumor has started in the mid 90s by a bobtail cat breeder who wrote of her experience. There hasn't been any scientific evidence to prove/disprove it otherwise, but most folks tend to avoid using them altogether until the kitten is past the weaning stages at least, just to be safe. I hear others may also avoid clumping litter because if a kitten or cat likes water and their fur is wet when they enter the litter box, you'll end up with a "breaded kitty" and it's very difficult to remove!
 The kitty will also attempt to clean themselves through licking, and ingest enough sodium bentonite (active ingredient in clumping clay litters) to cause serious health problems. 

There are many natural litters now that also clump, but safe if ingested. Those include corn, wheat, and pine litters, for example. Others like it because it's also biodegradeable and better for the environment since clay litter isn't. Although these companies advertise it's flushable, I would still rid of used litter in the trash because marine life can also still be affected by the feces of sick kittens/cats. It may still clog the sewer system, depending on where you live. 

Hopefully this answers most of your questions! I'm sure others will add on their preferences and experiences too! Good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cheddar

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For sure that has clarified things for me. Thank you.