clump kitty litter is bad

tourmaline

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would love to use something other than the clay litter that I'm using now. The cats were using Worlds Best and I had problems with one of the cats eating it. He had chronic diarrhea because of it. He is probably allergic to corn. They don't eat the clay litter so I'm going to stick with it even though I would rather use something else. I'm afraid that he'll eat the wheat litter too. Anything that smells even remotely like food, he will eat!

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by AshleyNicole

I have a question....I used clumping clay litter at first, but very quickly switched to swheat scoop after finding this site. When I would take Marlee home with me to my parents house for visits I would just use the non-clumping clay litter that was there for my parents cat. After the first visit there, she really dislikes the swheatscoop and seems to like the non-clumping clay litter. The way I know this is I brought the rest of a bag of the clay litter home, and had that in one box and swheat scoop in the other. She didn't use the swheat scoop box at all until I dumped it and put in the clay litter. Is this non-clumping clay litter bad for her?
Personally I would say if your cat is old enough to know better than to eat it, you should be fine. Others may disagree. Yes clay litter can be a bit dusty, but if kitty is happier with that litter, I would leave well enough alone.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tourmaline

I would love to use something other than the clay litter that I'm using now. The cats were using Worlds Best and I had problems with one of the cats eating it. He had chronic diarrhea because of it. He is probably allergic to corn. They don't eat the clay litter so I'm going to stick with it even though I would rather use something else. I'm afraid that he'll eat the wheat litter too. Anything that smells even remotely like food, he will eat!
I would recommend the paper clumping

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by tourmaline

What is the paper clumping litter? Is it flushable?
I would suggest you go to Petsmart as here they carry three types ... one is balled like clay and not scoopable , one is like clay but clumps and the other is pelleted ... they are all flushable .. it is made from recycled paper

consumerkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried the paper litter when April Joy got spayed in November. She wouldn't use it. She has been to the vet several times in the past 2 months for digestive upsets. I saw this thread last night and bought some Swheat Scoop. They are both using it!

southernlocs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We used Yesterday's news(paper litter) for a month(since they got here) and i really didnt like it. Didnt like the lil pieces of paper getting on my bed lol, yuck. And after about 5 days all i would smell is pee.

So i just got some of the pine pellets from Petsmart 20lbs for $6.99. And so far so good! Oh and also we have a clumping corn litter in another box, called Fresh Results. They only pee in that box