Clueless about home buying.... Seriously considering, but....

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What fun!  I can't play the video if my cats are in the room...they will be SO jealous

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had the same system for 6 years.  It works, and has been tested inside by my Felix, who scraped his nose open trying to bust out (he's a former feral) and other cats (and critters) who've tried to come in from the opposite side.  Once Felix tried and failed a couple of times he's been fine with the borders.  It's a good product for sure!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Awesome to know! It wasn't cheap, especially since I paid to have it installed too... But of course my biggest concern is that the kitties are safe. That's my #1 priority. :nod:
Question: what about squirrels- are they able to escape? Or they get trapped if they come into the yard?

Last edited:

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, the squirrels will be fine, but I have had to remove a couple of live snakes from the netting!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, the squirrels will be fine, but I have had to remove a couple of live snakes from the netting!
WHY are the snakes climbing the fence?!? :lol3: Although here we don't have any tree snakes, just garter snakes and rat snakes and other ground dwellers, so I might be biased :tongue2:.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WHY are the snakes climbing the fence?!? :lol3: Although here we don't have any tree snakes, just garter snakes and rat snakes and other ground dwellers, so I might be biased :tongue2:.
I don't think they climb the fence - they probably fall from a branch - I can see that. I have some big trees on my yard with branches extending over the cat fence...... I can imagin that' how they would get in there..... The gate/roof is another possibility.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, I'm sure, it's just that the snakes here don't climb trees either!:D I like snakes but looking UP and seeing one would be a little freaky.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting! I see them everywhere in mom's house.... But then, she lives in a forest :lol3:
I don't like them.... Will not even lie :lol:
I would nit do much to save one either. A snake in mom's house is pretty safe.... In my house is likely dead :paranoid: (my apologies to Tue snake lovers, but....)

catmom2wires

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, snakes do climb trees!  I had the netting around the trunk of a huge tree and the first snake got entangled on the way up!  He was really angry about it, too and it took quite a while to carefully cut him loose.  The other got caught the next week on the fence netting.  I will say, though, that those two incidents happened early on and we haven't had issues since.  A bird once flew into it and got stuck and "hung" herself as well, but for me being rural, that's a pretty good track record for 6 years.  If you are more urban, you shouldn't have nearly the problems.

Oh---and you saved yourself a LOT of cursing by having it installed.  DH and I did ours over a weekend...not fun!  Now my fence (wood part) is looking like it will soon need to be replaced, so you know what that means!  :(

Last edited:

minka

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting! I see them everywhere in mom's house.... But then, she lives in a forest :lol3:
I don't like them.... Will not even lie :lol:
I would nit do much to save one either. A snake in mom's house is pretty safe.... In my house is likely dead :paranoid: (my apologies to Tue snake lovers, but....)
Snake remover, at your service! :lol2:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hehe, that poor possum is soooo disappointed that he can't get in! :tongue2: McCreamy doesn't look like he thinks much of possums, though. . .so I think it's for the best :D.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hehe, that poor possum is soooo disappointed that he can't get in! :tongue2: McCreamy doesn't look like he thinks much of possums, though. . .so I think it's for the best :D.
Oh, what McCreamy was looking at was the neighbor cat - he visits all the time - and he drives my cats NUTS :stomp:

This possum was HUGE! And defiant! He was just looking at Mac, who also wanted a little piece of him :seesaw: and just going from side to side on the fence..... For the longest time...... I am like..... Ok Mr. Possum - just so you know, my cats eat raw :lol:

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you do consider buying a house  of course you want  the best for yourself. Good luck. For the past 29 years we lived in a trailer and 2 apartments. I just can't afford a house. You don't have the extras by having a house though.

dejolane

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That possum looks like he is giving the finger. Hilarious.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That possum looks like he is giving the finger. Hilarious.
Very big I'm glad he is there and not on my patio.  Long time ago we had raccoons on our porch in our trash bags. They tore them up to get to the  eggs.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Time to update this thread!
Wow, Can't believe I have been here for 9 months already! Still loving it, still think it was the best step I've taken! :clap::clap::clap::clap:
For a little while there I was thinking the house was a money pit :doh3: But I guess it just comes from owning a house.......
There WAS an incident that I wasn't expecting that took a lot of money right of the bat, but it is what it is..... I am over it :nod:
Basically the previous owners lied (or if you want to be kind/politically correct - answered incorrectly THREE times) on the disclosures and said the house had no drainage problems, and I found out quickly it had. To a point that a 5 minutes rain flooded my patio, water came inside of my garage.... Long story short, I had to build a drainage system on the back and side of the house, fix the mortar on the brick on the back wall, replace the polls on the patio that were rotten.... it cost me a pretty penny.
What they did was not cool (some say not legal either), and I have all the proof to go to court - the disclosures itself, videos, pictures, receipts, etc.
I just don't know if I want to do it since the issue is fixed and it is behind me.

What else?
My roof was only a year old when......... Hail came down hard - so much for a 30 yr warranty, right? :lol3:
Got my roof replaced, and I LOVE the new roof - I upgraded it for the dimensional/architectural shingles, and chose terracotta as a color - it is the brightest roof on the block :crackup:

Fixed everything on the house - but the truth is, there is never "fixing everything" :lol3:
The other day Rebecca (Our member Minka), who is my petsitter, called me as I was out of town to say that her bed went "crack crack boom!" :lol3::lol3::lol3:

- Rebecca, what do you mean by "crack crack boom?"
- I mean it went cccrrrack....... ccrrrrraaack....... BOOM on the floor! :flail:
Thankfully Rebecca went to Home Depot and picked up some wood, and I was able to fix it and reinforce with my drill....

There are some interesting things when you have a house - the yard is one of them - ahhhhh the yard :lol3::lol3::lol3::lol3::lol3:
The kitties LOVE LOVE LOVE the yard - me on the other hand - I am looking forward for the winter.
I tell ya - Spring hit one day:lol3:, the next I had all these little volcanos - I think dozens and dozens - ants. War was declared :bat:
Oh no - when it comes to ants I am not green and I am not politically correct.
Then WASPS. Darn things were making nests on my gate :stomp: I was peaceful until the day I was stung - it was just enough time to drive to Home depot and load up on wasp poison and traps. Found the nest - yep, right where I would put my hand............ Sprayed the heck out of it.

Then..... I am walking the yard and see these big volcanos - piles of dust with a big hole on it. all over my yard. MOLES.
I LIVE IN A JUNGLE
Luckily Mac pees enough in the yard to scare them away - apparently cat urine is the best way to send them to the neighbor's yard :flail:
Then cicadas, June bugs, mosquitos (Bought a KILLER Zapper no pun intended, that OMG, has been my salvation :clap:)
Aside from all that - Let's see:

The house is mostly furnished by now. I bought new furniture for the living room and also bought a dining room table - I have an open concept kitchen living room - so I separated it.
The guest bedroom is furnished too, the office, my room...... bought automated sprinklers (with hoses) for both the front yard 4 stations - includes a sprinkler/rain system for the landscape garden on the front, and soaker hoses for the foundation on the back.
Fixed everything the past owners had done wrong - sealed everything that had to be sealed, all the windows, bought a NEST thermostat that has saved me a BUNCH of $$$....... and now the only thing missing is patio furniture.

Oh, another thing I did - I get paid weekly, so I got my bank to automatically send my mortgage co. weekly payments - it will save me a bunch in interest/years of payment, and it is way easier on me than paying a lump some in the beginning of the month :nod:

Something VERY Exciting:
My dad is coming to visit me for the first time in about a week or so - his first time EVER in the US (mind you, I've been here for 17 years :thud:) :clap::clap::clap:
So I am working on making the guest bathroom safe for him - he has mobility issues :heart3:
Mom is coming the day after he leaves! Both will stay 2 weeks :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Then in the end on the year my nephew AND my niece come to America for the first time - they will stay for 40 YEP FOURTY days! Nephew is 13, niece will be 15 - we will do the Disney thing, and the plan is to have a blast (and survive :lol3:)

THIS is the BEST part of having my house - having the family come over :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Anyways, that's my update -

All and all, I am thrilled, and LOVE my house. I do understand that it is a lot of work when you have your own house.... There is not just sitting around and doing nothing - you have to keep it clean otherwise ants will come in - you have to keep it up to keep the value.... You have to maintain the yard, the bills are higher, and things DO break - ALL-THE-TIME.
BUT - it is YOURS, and I do not see as spending it anymore, I see it as an investment.
My house has been consistently going up in value since the day I bought it.
And more than that, there is nothing better than getting HOME - YOUR home.
I am fully blessed, and very, very glad I am here, with my kiddos, in my own little piece of heaven -

:wavey:

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There WAS an incident that I wasn't expecting that took a lot of money right of the bat, but it is what it is..... I am over it

Basically the previous owners lied (or if you want to be kind/politically correct - answered incorrectly THREE times) on the disclosures and said the house had no drainage problems, and I found out quickly it had. To a point that a 5 minutes rain flooded my patio, water came inside of my garage.... Long story short, I had to build a drainage system on the back and side of the house, fix the mortar on the brick on the back wall, replace the polls on the patio that were rotten.... it cost me a pretty penny.
What they did was not cool (some say not legal either), and I have all the proof to go to court - the disclosures itself, videos, pictures, receipts, etc.
I just don't know if I want to do it since the issue is fixed and it is behind me.
I used to work in real estate law. Trust me! You want to!  And do it soon before more time lapses.

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Nine months already? There's always something that has to be done to maintain a house, and lots of times things seem to pile up at once, but it's still worth the time, money and aggravation. Your house and yard are beautiful, and for the most part you can do things the way you want to now.

Having all those visitors sounds exciting. You must really be looking forward to it.