Clipping ear, spayed, declawing...

shanas

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two cats and live out in the country,one is indoor.....she had a litter before we caught her in time for spaying, my other cat is an outdoor, the mother & daughter do not get along at all and the "baby" is just almost wild. She comes insist twice a day to eat and she let's me pet her....but then wants right out again. She was spayed before having any litters.
She came up missing for about 4 days...and returned with a notched ear. I am just so glad she was returned.and I hope it was not too terribly traumatic for her being trapped and notched.

saitaina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My current eldest has a clipped ear as she was spayed under a feral program (as were her mother, two aunts and five cousins...it was a long day). She has never had any I'll effects from it and honestly didn't notice. Cut ears are NOT for the owner/trapper, but for the well being of the cat so that people can see from a distance not to bother it as it's already fixed. Normal pets who are not feral are not tipped.

Declawing however is a proven mutilation of a cat that seriously effects it's life, health and happiness. You cannot compare a long reaching amputation to a cut that isn't even noticed.

laura h

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I will stand firm. Absolutely no declawing (except for medical necessity). I buy soft claws. Sure I replace them frequenlty, because he chews til they come off. But I'll do that. That's the only way he can stay in my apartment building. He's a year. He doesn't scratch my furniture because he has like 5 scratching posts. When he first came home and started scratching . i used positive reinforcement for using his scratching posts, and a firm "Comet" stops him from scratching anything else. I still say thank you for using your scratching post when he uses it and he's a year. (like he can understand me)

I dont understand ear clipping. Could I just go to WalMart, buy a home ear piercing kit and put a stud in his ear? (j/k)

Spaying/neutering. YES YES YES. Prevent overpopulation, health benefits, and I really don't want someone knocking on my door telling me I'm going to be a grandma thanks to Comet.