Clipping Cat/kitten claws?

benthicat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by miao_kitty

And those are some claws!

My friend has a clawed and declawed cat. The clawed cat is the younger one and wants to play more, but I think she's learned that the older cat doesn't have claws (Or that the older cat can still kick the younger one's butt if she gets too annoyed) since she has never had any scratch-injuries.
oh thanks to everyone! Yeah he does seem to be behaving just how your friend's cat is...mostly just wants to play (thus my keeping them apart during the day.)

I did trim Isosceles claws. It wasn't too hard. I trimmed one paw, then he started struggling, so I let him run around. When he came back I petted him, calmed him down, and trimmed the other.

I'm glad, though, to hear about everyone's experiences! i don't want old Merfy being beat up...she deserves the best, you know? Thanks.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by greenvillegal

Do you HAVE to cut them though? I can't tell you the last time I cut my guys' nails, and they haven't grown back into their paws or anything. I always get them trimmed when I take them for their yearlies, and I have scratching posts set up.
I suppose you don't have to do them, but I don't see how you can stand to hold, cuddle, groom or wash a cat without trimming the nails. Its not that hard to do and IMO once a year is silly.

Hopefully your cats will never experience a lost eye from a long nail, getting caught in a curtain/rug and ripping it out, etc.