Clipped ear?

miskinsincap

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm, this is all interesting; I've just learned about this practice. Here, they use yellow plastic earrings (sometimes with a chip inside depending on the region) for that purpose. Mostly for dogs, but increasingly for cats also. There are groups, individuals, centers that register and follow stray animals in different neighborhoods in this way. They spay and vaccinate the animal, and return back for the next vaccination time. It is common that ordinary people take care of the stray animals by leaving food, water for them, and taking them to vet when they see they have health problems. These animals are usually friendly (as if they belong to the community), and families usually let their children play with them if they have such earrings. 

dereise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank y'all for the great welcome here!!  Any of you close to Cleveland Tn please support Dixie Day Spay and like them on Facebook! You will find a wealth of info and love! They also are involved with an underground foster home for abused animals to get them as far away as possible from the abuser. 

uncommonsensesc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some of these postings have made me feel a little better (not much though). I just had 2 cats fixed yesterday at a low cost spay/neuter clinic in our area. I just had a good look at them this morning (hiding) and the clnic clipped their ears! I am mad about it because they didn't even ask. I've taken other kitties to them - all with feral cat pricing/package - and they've asked about the ear tipping. I've got them all in a mobile home so it's not like I can't keep track of which ones have been fixed yet! We live out in the country so there is no animal control and if someone has a cat wonder up, they normally just feed it and life goes on! One of them from yesterday is a beautiful white boy with blue eyes and he's getting so tame and loving that I think he can be adopted. I'm worried who will adopt him with the tip of his ear gone though! From seeing you guys, it gives me hope but I'm still mad as heck about it!

dereise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't blame you at all for being angry. The least they could have done was ask you!!  We though adopted our little Betti Book cause she was so sick and that little Clipped Ear helped too. Listen, if you want to help ferals that have the upper respiratory virus a lot of them have, the Lysine treats work miracles!!!

Tammie22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They were spayed, yes. In practice, presumably in a TNR-programme.

In such a case, they being homeless (dumped or astray, without immediate possibility for new home), semiferal or feral.

These cats do often makes the best new friends. Often shy to strangers yes, but they do become very attached friends to the adopter /adopting family.

Also, they only ones send for adoption are those adoptable; fostered or at very least, apparent good fostering candidates.
These who are not fosterable, are never send in for adoption.

Not by any reputable shelter, rescue group etc.
My question is, why would you go to the trouble of spying/neutering a cat, and microchipping it and then clip their ear just to charge $200 for adoption? In all about TNR but if you are aspiring it out why?

Tammie22

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My question is, why would you go to the trouble of spying/neutering a cat, and microchipping it and then clip their ear just to charge $200 for adoption? In all about TNR but if you are aspiring it out why?
Ugh... corrective text! But I how y'all hey what I'm saying.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some cats are scared and seem feral at first but end up being tame, and it's not ideal to return a tame cat to the wild. But their ears were already clipped. Some vets here clip tame farm cats' ears too, because it's hard to say for sure if that's your farm cat or one that wandered in from another farm. And they sometimes end up in the adoption stream as well.