Clingyness, Food Changes, and Inappropriate Peeing!

bookworm19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all,

I just registered, but have enjoyed reading posts prior to taking the plunge and signing up! You guys have been great resources for me, as I have been around cats all my life, but never dealt with rescue babies on my own before.

Here's the story...
I adopted two teenage rescue cats, Violet and Simon, from a no-kill organization here in Virginia last December. They are brother and sister, and although it has taken a long time for them to warm up to my husband and I, get along famously with each other and can be affectionate when they have a mind to be. We currently live in a large one-bedroom apartment, with plenty of room for them to run around in. They love toys, and being pet, and attention in general (from me especially...I'm their Mommy, after all
). It's all love, most of the time...except for when Miss Violet wants to pee in random spots.

This started when we first got them, and I expected them to want to mark their territory. The day they arrived, we left them to explore their new home in peace, and I spotted Violet peeing on personal objects like my sweater, my husband's favorite sweatshirt, blankets, gym bags, etc. All these items had been worn or used before she urinated on them, which makes me believe she was just trying to "claim" us. The poor babies had bounced around from home to home, and we are the first people they've really bonded with (the last foster home they came from had 20 cats). I called her previous caregiver, who informed me that she had no knowledge of Violet having a peeing problem. I took her to the vet, and nothing was found.

I have two litter boxes, unscented fine grain litter, and clean them twice a day. My work schedule was crazy when we first got them, and has settled down into a nice routine. Violet had taken to urinating on the carpet, but stopped her inappropriate peeing completely a few months after we got them, and she had not done that for seven months at least...until Wednesday. We had gotten them new fleece mats for their beds on Saturday, and she seemed to like them quite a bit. However, my husband heard the telltale scratching on Wednesday, and saw her spraying on her fleece.

We were upset, but felt this may be an isolated incident. But yesterday, when I got home, I caught her peeing on her carpet. I am upset, and baffled by what triggered this behavior. My work schedule has not changed, we haven't had any new visitors, no new furniture. Also, she has been more clingy with me, never letting me out of her sight. One of the more bizarre aspects of this is that I've noticed a general change in her appetite as well the past couple of weeks. She used to LOVE canned food, and now it's a rare occasion that I can get her to eat her half of the can. She will eat some dry, but acts famished all of the time and wants to eat my food! Also, I thought her brother may have been eating all of her food, and he's not (though he will eat it if she doesn't). There is no bullying going on, either.

And before you guys ask, she's being taken to the vet on Monday. That's the earliest appointment I could get.

Help! Any advice you can give me would be a big help.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bookworm19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, it's hard for me to tell...but I think she may be more lethargic than normal. Am very concerned. Monday can't come soon enough!

bookworm19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: Violet is perfectly healthy, she just gets stressed out easily, according to my vet :). Have changed the litter back to Arm and Hammer, and make sure to give them plenty of attention.

rafm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
If she is easily stressed out, try Feliway in one of the rooms. Sometimes it takes a kitty a while to adjust to a new home especially when they've been bounced around from adopter to foster or foster to foster. Yes, even a year or more.

bookworm19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks! We have some homeopathic remedies similar to Feliway, and will be getting the real thing as well. I think her behavior is triggered by anxiety, and praise, attention, and firmness seem to help.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know she went to the vet, but I need to ask, was a full blood panel run with senior specific tests?

I ask because this is exactly how and what my oldest was doing right before I took her in and had a senior panel done.

She was diagnosed with CRF.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The possible changes could have stressed her out.  Sometimes the seemingly littlest change can cause kitties to become stressed.  I'd get the feliway plugin and run it 24/7 as well as changing back to the other litter and food.

bookworm19

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, since she's not more than two, the vet did not feel the need to do a senior panel...though hat is something I will look into if her behavior continues to be erratic, thank you :). I do believe her problems are purely behavioral, and is clingy and prone to inappropriate urinating when she is stressed, anxious, or something is just not to her liking. She will look right at me and spray an item of clothing, there is no shame in it for her. I have kept the food the same, and make sure to keep the same type of unscented litter, but am probably just going to keep using the same exact brand as before.