Clindamycin + Diarrhea (Help!)

kittyprincesss

Loving Mother of a Flower Petal
Adult Cat
Purraise
Miss Ellie is on day 4 of Clindamycin...She just had a major diarrhea poop. I'm talking full on chocolate sauce & soft serve.:sniffle: She has never had bad poops. I feel awful. She is also used to kibble and due to her dental emergency the dr said no crunchies till next week.

Obviously I blame the Clindamycin right? I suppose the hard to now wet, pate food would not make matters better.

Has anyone experienced this? It is listed as a side effect.

I have already left a message at her primary vet, they are closed today. She is okay otherwise, good energy and not lethargic. My poor baby...

How do I help her? Please give me any of your trusted diarrhea tips. This is her second bad poop, I thought yesterday it was gas but that must have been the diarrhea sound. I don't want her to get worse, please.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probiotics would be helpful. Don't give it at the same time as the antibiotic. Give it two hours or so after the antibiotic.

Any Human probiotic you can buy at the pharmacy will work. There are various CFU counts but start with a low one to avoid more tummy issues. Maybe 5 billion CFU or 10 billion CFU. The capsule can be opened and the contents sprinkled into canned food or moist treat (tuna, lickables cat treats, etc). Half a capsule twice a day is usually a recommended starting amount. The capsule can be put back together to save the remainder for next time.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Probiotics will help, but you need to call the vet and ask for a different medication. Clindamycin is a powerful medication and has many side effects in humans. I would think the vet could prescribe something that's easier on your kitty's tummy and GI tract.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittyprincesss

Adult Cat
Purraise
Probiotics will help, but you need to call the vet and ask for a different medication. Clindamycin is a powerful medication and has many side effects in humans. I would think the vet could prescribe something that's easier on your kitty's tummy and GI tract.
So should I skip it tonight? I don't want her struggling anymore with the runs..I did leave a message!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Honestly? I probably would not give it to her tonight, but give her a probiotic in some wet food or baby food. If you have Culturelle on hand, that works well, about 1/4 capsule sprinkled into food twice a day. We give my boy a fill one when his diarrhea flares up and it takes care of it.

kittyprincesss

Adult Cat
Purraise
Honestly? I probably would not give it to her tonight, but give her a probiotic in some wet food or baby food. If you have Culturelle on hand, that works well, about 1/4 capsule sprinkled into food twice a day. We give my boy a fill one when his diarrhea flares up and it takes care of it.
Okay, thank you so much. She is acting okay otherwise but my momma heart hurts so so much hearing her go poo. Its so loud and almost splatters, and that CANNOT feel good coming out. Thank you Stephanie, I appreciate it. I was looking into FortiFlora but I will also look into that one, where did you buy it?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You can get Culturelle at Walmart, Target, or any store. It's in the pharmacy section of the store with all the supplements and things like that. If you can find a health food store, saccharomyces boullardi is excellent for helping clear up diarrhea. It's also a human probiotic. When my guy is having a flare, we give him both.

kittyprincesss

Adult Cat
Purraise
You can get Culturelle at Walmart, Target, or any store. It's in the pharmacy section of the store with all the supplements and things like that. If you can find a health food store, saccharomyces boullardi is excellent for helping clear up diarrhea. It's also a human probiotic. When my guy is having a flare, we give him both.
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've only ever given FortiFlora, never a human probiotic. Is it really okay to give them human ones? I suppose its just good bacteria, so theres no harm. Also, is there a specific bacteria amount you use? I just don't wanna overload her! Thanks for the help. If its any importance, shes a 12 pound Blue Point Siamese.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I've only ever given FortiFlora, never a human probiotic. Is it really okay to give them human ones? I suppose its just good bacteria, so theres no harm. Also, is there a specific bacteria amount you use? I just don't wanna overload her! Thanks for the help. If its any importance, shes a 12 pound Blue Point Siamese.
Yes, Human probiotics are just fine and undergo quality testing and control while many pet ones do not. FortiFlora isn't a v ery good probiotic to use. The CFU count of the one bacteria strain is way too low. FortiFlora is only really good to get inappetant or picky cats to eat because of the yummy taste. Advita is a similar product but doesn't have the (addicting) animal digest that is in FortiFlora. I'm not sure if Advita is any better as a probiotic.

Start with a low CFU count, maybe 5 billion CFU. Make sure there is more than one strain of bacteria in the product.A suggested dose is half a capsule twice a day. The capsule halves be pulled apart and you sprinkle the contents into moist food of some kind. Slide the capsules halves back together to save the remainder for next time. Just don't put it back in the package because then you won't be able to find it again. Put it in a baggie along with the rest of the package.