Climate induced dryness?

lunaskye

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, no one would respond to my last post so I am posting again but perhaps more concisely.

Is it possible for cats to also have dry skin related to climate change? I used to live in Boston where the air there is moist and humid due to the Atlantic ocean front. I now moved to Finland where the weather is dry, no moisture in the air.

I feed my cat salmon based dry food and from time to time other fish types of canned food when I can, since cat food is more expensive here.

My cat has really nice, silky, clean, fur... yet he has been scratching and licking himself a lot around the neck area. Could this be due to a new climate condition?

If so how can i help increase moisture to his skin.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think fur can change according to climate. I know it is dryer in the winter, and Ritz' skin seems to twitch more then.
You can try to get him to drink more water--and the water in Boston is different from the water in Finland. Might try bottled water.
But you mention feeding him more fish: are they any other dietary changes since you moved from Boston to Finland (and, how long ago was that).
Even if you were feeding your cat fish in Boston, no doubt the type of fish (where the fish is sourced) and canned food is different. Sometimes even the tiniest bit of difference can throw off a cat. The scratching and licking around the neck area seem to me to be a sign of a food allergy.