Clicker training multiple cats

daishain

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I intend to adopt a pair of kittens not long from now. Still debating on the details, but that isn't the issue at hand

For a variety of reasons, I've been looking into clicker training the pair some time after they've settled into their new home. Nothing incredibly complex, just a few tricks for mutual fun and behavioral correction.

However, it occurs to me that this plan may be flawed. Given a training method that relies on precisely timed sounds and more than one trainee, it seems that there is a good chance of reinforcing the wrong behavior for the kitten I'm not directly working with.

Any suggestions on handling this?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have heard of putting the kittens in separate rooms while you work with them; one at a time.  I have never tried to clicker train my own cats though. 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Separate them whilst training in the early stages. Once they've got a better understanding, you can have them both about. As they learn, they'll know who you're focusing on/talking to. (I should say my clicker training experience has been with dogs, but the principles are the same).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daishain

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Any general tips? I've lived with both cats and dogs for much of my life, but this would be my first stint at training either.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For cats, the main difference is you have to keep training sessions much shorter and always use the highest value (i.e. yummiest) treats.

With either animal, you start by 'loading' the clicker. This means having a bunch of treats (as you need lots, they need to be small in size to avoid overfeeding), getting the animal's attention and click then treat, click then treat, click then treat etc. Continue until the animal is focusing on you (not the food) in between clicks. The aim is to create the association between the click and the reward.

Ok, let's say you were teaching 'sit'. Take a treat and hold it in front of their nose. Slowly lift the treat up and slightly back. The idea is that as their head follows the treat, their bum has to hit the floor. As you see their bum drop, click. Ideally, the click wants to coincide with the bum hitting the floor. Repeat until they're consistently sitting. Only then do you introduce the command word at the start of the exercise. In time, you can make the hand movement without the treat being in it, and even just use the voice command. Every time they get it right, CLICK and treat!

Also, if praising verbally, don't say 'Good girl/boy/name'. Say "Good sit' or 'Good down' (or whatever the command is). That way, they know what they're being praised for ;)

[article="30493"][/article]

Last edited: