Clepto Cat

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So recently, and I will say he (Smokie) did this years ago as a kitten - has started stealing again.

Things will just disappear, keys, cell phones, bottles of lotion- they are usually found in his toybox, but not always. I looked for THREE DAYS for my Inhaler before finally finding it buried under the liner of the litter box (apparently he had lifted the liner off somehow, and stuck it under there- who knows.

Any idea of what I can do to prevent the clepto kitting from striking? While it is cute, lol--- I don't think him hiding meds, etc , important things needs to be encouraged.

Thanks

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
I feel your pain.

Freya's a hoarder - she steals things and hides them in her current hoarding spot...which is fine if you know where that is, not so much if she's recently moved it and you haven't found the new one yet.

Not much of a suggestion, but we're just had to get into the habit of keeping everything in drawers. Freya won't pick things out of baskets, so we added a few drop-baskets in places where we usually left things and now drop them in the baskets to avoid hoarder kitty.

I'm curious to see if anyone else has had any luck curbing this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

nebula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it's a "cat quirk" you have to learn to live with??

Smokie won't let baskets stop him, and while he can't open drawers (Bandit can, but not Smokie) (YET) we don't have very many drawers, all of them are 100% taken up.... So far Smokie only has 2 hiding spots lol.

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
When Meowzers was younger we had to actually lock things up, lol. Thankfully, she grew out of it. 

moonpie666

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm sure it's annoying, but this is the most hilarious thing I've read all week.. cat hoarders

It would be the best hoarding show ever!

meowmmy_aprile

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a female that steals jewlery out of my jewlery box or off the top of my dresser. Mostly necklaces. I call her my cat burgler. Jewlery is the only thing she takes lol. I have tried putting heavy things on the top of the box and she knocks them off, I got a case with a lock and she promptly knocked it over and sat there pawing at it for an hour trying to get into it. When she takes things she puts them under my bed. The other day I had a watch go missing. Decided to look under the bed and there it was lol.