Cleopatra may have IBD(otherwise cancer).

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
No, I do not believe we did. When she checked her heartbeat, she claimed that it was beating fast, on the high end of even stressed cats. But I did some research, and it seems that stressed cat's pulse can even be 240. While Cleo had 220. She explained that it could be hyperthyroidism, so we took a simple blood test. Not exclussive for anything. Everything came back normal, except that her calcium was slightly high, and because Cleo lost some weight, she explained that it could be cancer. And that it most likely was.

No, we have not. It's been nearly two months since we last brought her in, and I was thinking of making another appointment. So, checking for the parathyroid would be something other than a simple blood test?
After reading these articles, I absolutely think you should ask the vet to test her parathyroid. It sounds like they did test her THYROID but the PARATHYROID is a different gland that produces a different hormone and would not be included in a standard blood panel. Usually, they only test liver, kidneys, pancreas and if they did a Hyper-T that would include the thyroid.

I would absolutely ask for the parathyroid hormone test (PHT) next time in addition to the normal workup.

And I still think that the homemade diet is the best thing for Cleo no matter what else is going on, as long as she is eating it. Are you still serving it cooked slightly or have you gone raw?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cleopatras mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Still cooked slightly, I am really trying to make her eat raw, and I have been able to make her eat it less cooked, but she still is a little wary of the whole raw thing. x/

So, I read the articles, and it explains that issues with the parathyroid is because of a tumor, that most likely isn't cancerous? But how would that contribute to blood in her stools, and loss of weight? Hmmmn....

cleopatras mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I also have one last question, when I transition her to fully raw, do I have to be severely worried about food I buy at the supermarket to have really high amounts of bacteria? I understand that for the most part, cats can fend it of, but if she is ahving immune issues....this just confuses me.

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I also have one last question, when I transition her to fully raw, do I have to be severely worried about food I buy at the supermarket to have really high amounts of bacteria? I understand that for the most part, cats can fend it of, but if she is ahving immune issues....this just confuses me.
Are you buying ground pork and liver or is it chunks? If it is ground, you should not feed that raw. This is because we don't really know how clean the supermarkets grinder is in regards to bacteria. Also, since it is ground there is more surface area for bacteria to grow while it is sitting there.

If you're buying chunks of pork and chunks of liver, you are fine.

One thing I should recommend again (once you run out of Alnutrin) is the supplement EZComplete. You would only need to buy boneless meat from the store and add this supplement to it. The supplement includes eggshell calcium, liver, kidney and all other necessities and only needs ground meat to be complete. Best of all, you can use that with cooked or raw meat.

But for now with the supplement you have, you should be buying pork chunks (not ground) and whole liver to either grind yourself at home or feed in chunks and add the proper amount of Alnutrin with Eggshell Calcium.

And since Alnutrin is not meant to be fed with cooked food, the sooner you can transition her to raw, the better. I would not be concerned at all about bacterial load but take things slow for Cleo AND yourself and go at a comfortable pace for you both.

cleopatras mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am buying chunks, that I mince with a knife.

And I agree about EZcomplete, I really wanted to get that, but I just couldn't get it at that moment.

cleopatras mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Alright, so I have an update!

NO BLOOD IN HER STOOLS! (Looking back, it seems like I have said this before, so I am remaining skeptical).

HOWEVER, she did actually have a teeny tiny glob of blood. Like, the size of a 12-font "o" in word documents.

So, I have seen improvement, but, if it was IBD, I wouldn't see a miraculous recovery quite yet, anyway?

Nonetheless, she is doing great on the homemade diet!

cleopatras mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So with this new diet thing, Cleo did not use the litter box for #2, for like 4 DAYS! Then she produced a great looking stool, and now it has been ANOTHER 4 DAYS!! Is this normal, or not? I was concerned the first two times, thinking she was constipated or had other issues, but with no trouble at all, she used the litterbox after day four. Has anyone had this happen to them? Should I be hopeful that her body is, apparantly, using a pound of food(she goes through that every four days), before using the bathroom? Do you think it means her body takes an excessively long time to digest it, or that it is using everything?

cleopatras mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is eating like a hog, compared to a while ago! We go through about one pound every three to four days! With her Wellness we went through about four pounds a month.

cleopatras mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update- No blood in her stools!

Though I may add that her stools are a brownish green. More like a brown...just for some reason I see a very subtle green tint.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Update- No blood in her stools!

Though I may add that her stools are a brownish green. More like a brown...just for some reason I see a very subtle green tint.
Is it loose?  I think that's what green stools mean.  It went through too fast.  

cleopatras mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It was just the lighting! Upon further inspection it had just appeared to have a greenish tint, but it did not. So everything is fine in that regard!

sparrow1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat is going throughost this too right now and we still don't know what's wrong :(

cleopatras mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry! Have you brought her the vet?

Well, Cleo's stools are back to normal, and I think it was due to the probiotics, and they gave her an upset stomach so her stools didn't stay in her intestines long enough. The blood seems to be gone, HOWEVER, it is so very hard to tell. What does dried up blood look like? Her stools are brown and dark brown mixed together, but she STILL has a mucus coating around her stools. You can tell because it kind of looks like a hot dog casing around it, if it makes sense? Like the outside seems a little dried up, and like a casing, then the outside. Kind of like a hot dog, or a red hot dog, if that makes sense?

sparrow1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to say but my cat didn't make it. The illness took control far more quickly than I could keep up with. Good luck with your Cleo I know this isn't very easy.

Last edited:

cleopatras mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cleo got sick last night. I made her her food, and several hours later, probably around 1 or 2 in the morning she vomited everywhere, for like ten minutes. All of her food seemed undigested, and it stunk horribly. This morning she pooped, it was really soft and it appeared somewhat green. This is all so stressful.

cleopatras mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Nothing much as changed with her, the vomiting was a one time thing. However, I need some more second opinions. For a long time, like a year, sometimes, after she eats, she sort of hiccups. It is not a hiccup though,  it's sort of like a stomach spasm like her stomach exhales sharply and her breath comes out of her nose and it makes a clicking sound. Perhaps a burp? 

abby2932

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't think hiccups or burping is out of the norm. But if you think it is weird, maybe bring it up to your vet?

How are the stools looking? Still green or have blood in them? If so, that doesn't sound right.

Are you still considering getting the EZComplete premix?

cleopatras mom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's definitely not hiccup, I think they are burps, and I looked around on the website, and I realized I could try elevating her bowl because she may scarf it down. Her stools look pretty normal. No blood since her new diet though I see occasional mucus. She ate some dog food tat was accidentally let down, and she did #2 today, and it still seemed fine.

And I don't know...because I don't know if she is allergic to seafood, or plant stuff that they mention it has, so I may stick with Alnutrin for a while.

jclark

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I quickly perused the pages and didn't see this site mentioned (may have missed it). 

http://www.ibdkitties.net/

I used this site when I was dealing with a senior main coon that developed IBS/IBD.  (Search my name for the relevant posts)       

A couple of quick things:

IBD is an autoimmune disease that is never cured only managed.

My vet told me cats that have cancer usually continue to drop weight until the die.  They don't drop weight and then level off which is what happened to my cat (He never regained his weight btw).

My guy was on Prednisolone (liquid) 1x every other day and I would dose him at night since it was suggested that it's has a synergetic response with hormonal levels present at night vs. those during the morning/day. 

Last edited: