Cleaning up a cat (Maine Coon)

bruce&sheila

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Two mornings ago we woke up to find that one of our 8-year-old Maine Coons, Bruce, had had a major toilet accident, and there was a great deal of sticky poo all over his rear end (and all over the house, where he'd dragged his bottom along the carpets to try to clean himself).

We immediately gave him a rough bottom wash (we didn't have cat shampoo) and hired a carpet cleaning machine!

The next day he was still suffering. He has clearly been cleaning himself constantly, as his chin was wet and looks sore, and his genital area was very pink and angry looking from over washing - but his hair was not clean despite his best efforts. So we purchased some cat shampoo and gave him a proper bath last night.

This morning he is still over-cleaning and his hair looks scruffy on his back end, and more importantly he is still miserable. He is normally a very typical Maine Coon - docile, sociable, happy, a bit goofy with the most wonderful loud purr. At the moment he doesn't purr at all, and he's not really eating. He accepts attention, but only, it seems, in the hope that we can help him further (he is very trusting, and is much more intelligent than his sister!). I have tried to brush him gently this morning, but twice as I got towards his rear end he let out such a plaintive miaow that I stopped.

Any advice? Will he be damaging himself with all this grooming? Do we need to take him to a professional grooming place (I've never done that before) or even the vet? Or is he likely to sort himself out over time with a bit of occasional gentle grooming from me?

My poor boy!

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Two mornings ago we woke up to find that one of our 8-year-old Maine Coons, Bruce, had had a major toilet accident, and there was a great deal of sticky poo all over his rear end (and all over the house, where he'd dragged his bottom along the carpets to try to clean himself).

We immediately gave him a rough bottom wash (we didn't have cat shampoo) and hired a carpet cleaning machine!

The next day he was still suffering. He has clearly been cleaning himself constantly, as his chin was wet and looks sore, and his genital area was very pink and angry looking from over washing - but his hair was not clean despite his best efforts. So we purchased some cat shampoo and gave him a proper bath last night.

This morning he is still over-cleaning and his hair looks scruffy on his back end, and more importantly he is still miserable. He is normally a very typical Maine Coon - docile, sociable, happy, a bit goofy with the most wonderful loud purr. At the moment he doesn't purr at all, and he's not really eating. He accepts attention, but only, it seems, in the hope that we can help him further (he is very trusting, and is much more intelligent than his sister!). I have tried to brush him gently this morning, but twice as I got towards his rear end he let out such a plaintive miaow that I stopped.

Any advice? Will he be damaging himself with all this grooming? Do we need to take him to a professional grooming place (I've never done that before) or even the vet? Or is he likely to sort himself out over time with a bit of occasional gentle grooming from me?

My poor boy!
I am so sorry your baby is  not feeling well ..  I would  most definitely take him to the vet as soon as possible .  I cannot say what the problem is but it sounds as though he is in pain .

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think a vet check would be a good idea. He might need an e collar for a couple of days to let things heal up. A sanitary trim would be a good idea too, providing he's not too sore to have it done. Again, your vet can advise you on whether the skin can take it at the moment.

I hope he feels better soon :vibes:

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Oh poor baby.

I would get him checked by a vet soon as poss. The dragging butt on floor, licking and crying when you touch his back end, is making me think maybe he has a blocked anal glad that need emptying. ;)

catladyvettech

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with GemsGem. Sounds like it could possibly be an issue with his anal glands. The scooting and constant licking can be signs of an anal gland problem. I agree too, that while you're at the vet getting that checked out, ask about a hygiene clip and possibly a salve for his poor irritated skin. Good luck, hope your poor baby feels better soon!

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

My poor boy!
How is your cat doing ?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bruce&sheila

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Well, he's much more cheerful! Purring and being a bit goofy (hide and seek in the curtains at the moment). Also, he sicked up a large hairball earlier, which will have made him feel better after all that grooming.

Bruce does have a bit of a sensitive stomach (though he rarely has problems since he went on a food suitable for sensitive cats). When we found him his bottom was covered in poo - none in the litter tray - and I think the trails were simply him trying to rub it off. However, his rear end is still a bit messy with matted fur, and looks a bit pink, and there is a lump (which I assume might be his winkie - I haven't looked so closely before!). He is, of course, neutered. My gut feeling is that the dragging on the floor was to remove the poo rather than anything else (he's no longer dragging), but if I see him do it again I'll definitely get that checked.

I'm going to give him a bit more of a trim, and brush him if I can, and if it's not improved tomorrow I'll take him to the vet on Monday morning. Thank you for all of your advice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bruce&sheila

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He's much better, thanks. He's been letting me brush or cut out the remaining knots (he's very placid and trusting: a wonderful temperament). He's still cleaning himself a bit more than usual but I'm confident he's 95% of the way there.

Thanks as always!