Cleaning the oven

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GailC

I use Easy Off Spray Oven cleaner-it says no fume on the can. I remove the oven racks-if it was warmer you could take them outside and lay them on plastic garbage bags and spray then. I them see if there is any loose "stuff" and scoup that out. I lay newspaper on the floor under the oven and then spray away.
Mke sure the oven is cold and follow the directions on the can. I will wear rubbe gloves and use lots of paper towels. This works well for me. If you also shop at a better cookware store some sell a product you can put on the bottom of the oven for easier cleaning-I 've checked into this (yet).
And once its clean (or cleaner) wipe up spills promptly (easier said than done though).
That's exacly what I do too. I always have the bottom of the stove lined with tinfoil which I remove after anything runs over, and I replace it. Tintoil is wonderful stuff.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sibohan2005

That's exacly what I do too. I always have the bottom of the stove lined with tinfoil which I remove after anything runs over, and I replace it. Tintoil is wonderful stuff.
Most of the stores here also have the foil bottom liners that fit exactly in the bottom of the oven, thicker and easier to handle than regular tin foil, and they aren't very expensive.

hilda>^..^<

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine is also a self cleaning and it really does a great job of cleaning itself! However, it takes well over 3 hours to do so and reeeeally heats up the house! I prefer just to take a Brillo pad to it (after I've removed the racks of course) and scrub the heck out of it. Next use as many paper towels as you need to rinse out whatever crumbs & cleanser left on the surface. Make sure if you do use the Brillo pads to rinse out every little bit of cleanser...that will fume up on ya the next time you use it. Get you a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil and line the bottom of your oven to catch all the drippings and such so it won't be so much trouble next time you clean.

Oh yeah, almost forgot...use the Brillo pad to scrub your oven window as well!

Good luck with it!
Hilda >^..^<

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just keep in mind that if you use any type of steel wool/steel pads that you will scratch the surfaces which will cause foods to stick on better and make future cleaning more difficult. It will also dull your finish.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

Clean the oven? Are we supposed to do that? dang.
I never thought about it either, but I figure its about time....