cleaning the littler box and cat peeing.

soursuperhero

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My Cat Hal has a bit of problem . In the last few months he has taken to peeing outside the litter box when we clean it. If He catches us cleaning his litter box he will pee somewhere in the room. We have two litter boxs (as we have two cats) and he does this with both.   He has been checked and he is fine. He has no other bad bathroom habbits. I hate locking him away to clean the liter box. any ideas?

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hhhhrrrrmmm that's interesting. Do he and the other cat get along? I wonder if he is possessive of the litterboxes and doesn't like you taking his scent away. Maybe you could try only partially cleaning each to leave some of his scent behind? 

You could also try some positive reinforcement. When you are about to clean the boxes do something extra special. The best would probably be put down a plate of wet food for him. In theory this will 1) distract him from what you are doing and 2) give him a positive association to having the litterbox cleaned. If cleaning the box = food then he may really start to enjoy it! 

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
^^ I'd do that.  Feeding while you clean the box ensures that the cat is preoccupied, and it also makes good things come from it.  If possible you could try having two boxes so that while cleaning one he has another one to go in.

I'm glad that I don't have that problem!  Stella just loves to climb in the box and do her business while I'm in the process of cleaning!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

soursuperhero

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will try feeding time when i clean the litter box that makes sense.

Our two cats get along great! they play together, sleep together sometimes. though the other cat is Alpha cat so maybe there is something there 

We do  have two cat boxes, in two different rooms

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
^^ I'd do that.  Feeding while you clean the box ensures that the cat is preoccupied, and it also makes good things come from it.  If possible you could try having two boxes so that while cleaning one he has another one to go in.

I'm glad that I don't have that problem!  Stella just loves to climb in the box and do her business while I'm in the process of cleaning!

My little RB kitty Patches loved to use the boxes just before and right after I cleaned each one. It really kept her hopping in and out of them. I used to laugh so much, I almost would drop the scoop.

I also clean the boxes while the ladies are eating.  It is the only time they will let me alone.