Cleaning Product Safety Question ?

kysa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our new kitten will soon be here, and I am wondering if the Lysol Daily Cleanser spray (had hypochlorous acid as active ingredient ) is truly safe to use on litter box & floor of kitten area? It claims to be safe even for human babies toys, etc. Has anyone used it & if not what else is safe for this purpose? I know Clorox wipes are not safe for this, but would like something with some sanitizing qualities. Thanks for any input.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
kysa kysa , safest way is steam clean and mixture of white distilled vinegar and water in a 50:50 mix.

I use non alcohol/chemical/perfumed wipes for my boy and also wiping the litter box after clearing the pee and every 2+ months or so, and switch litter box and wash the used litter box with mild detergent, soak and scrub and rinse well and wipe and air dry. Same goes for the litter scoops.

50:50 vinegar and water mixture is used to wipe all counter tops and table tops and for mopping the floor. No ants around as vinegar musk their trails.

For toys and beddings, steam clean well and hang dry in the sun or air dry. No toxic chemicals used. All chemicals in my house have been thrown away.

I use Nature's Miracle for pee and poo spills.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

kysa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. I would like to use something that has some sanitizing ability, but not toxic. The idea of using vinegar worries me because it also can be a deterrent for cats & I am afraid it might cause avoidance issues if I use it for the litterbox or on the floors. I thought about hydrogen peroxide which can be used for cleaning.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been using a lot of "Method" products.. pretty natural stuff, not all, but a lot; plus these products do not affect my asthma..
I really like the "Method" wood furniture polish; a nice almond smell to it.
I use their toilet bowl cleaner, rather than Clorox or Lysol, which are toxic to pets...

I have also used vinegar and water-- great for windows... but the vinegar smell still bothers me...
sometimes added a touch Dawn Blue, to clean better.

I use a steam floor cleaner for my laminate floors and for the kitchen ceramic tile. The bathroom is whatever I use to clean the rest of it.. usually the Method BR cleaner... smells like mint.

I rinse well, wipe down with a towel, and have windows open when I clean.

Alcohol and water for mirrors...

I stayed away from Lysol, Clorox and Swiffer products....

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our new kitten will soon be here, and I am wondering if the Lysol Daily Cleanser spray (had hypochlorous acid as active ingredient ) is truly safe to use on litter box & floor of kitten area? It claims to be safe even for human babies toys, etc. Has anyone used it & if not what else is safe for this purpose? I know Clorox wipes are not safe for this, but would like something with some sanitizing qualities. Thanks for any input.
Good question! I personally wouldn’t use anything Lysol, just bc my sister once used it to disinfect her cats litterbox (this was several decades ago) and he got cancer. She worked for the place that made Lysol and she told Someone her cat had cancer and this person flippantly said “oh, well of course you KNOW it’s toxic to pets...”

Natures Miracle is quite good and I’d trust it, but even so I’d use boiling water or steam wherever possible.

MRG2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is a bit of a conundrum because natural products or vinegar and water have very very limited sanitation capabilities. Infact, in my opinion its probably worse because you are just wiping everything with a non antibacterial agent and spreading it more. And if you use a dust cloth etc, and dont wash it immediately after the first use and leave it be even for a day- you have an abundance of bacteria growth on it.

Lysol, Clorox and certain agents including the alcoholic cleaners are toxic and hence you should use them if your pets can be cordoned off that area for a while because of the fumes and the fact they will get it on their paws. But these are the only agents that will 'clean'; as in reduce or remove bacteria completely. This is what they use in the shelters as well as other facilities.

I tried both natural and lysol and clorox, hydrogen peroxide and alcohol products, i had to switch back to hydrogen peroxide, better than bleach, and use alcohol spray on counter tops etc because it evaporates quickly.

I think recently Lysol or clorox came up with a special 'safe for pets' wipes. Not sure what it contains, but obviously you cannot take those claims at face value. Read the fine text.

MRG2018

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. I would like to use something that has some sanitizing ability, but not toxic. The idea of using vinegar worries me because it also can be a deterrent for cats & I am afraid it might cause avoidance issues if I use it for the litterbox or on the floors. I thought about hydrogen peroxide which can be used for cleaning.
Hydrogen peroxide is preferrable.

Remember, for any agent to perform the act of sterilisation or sanitation, it has to be left on the surface for 30 seconds to 5 minutes as per directions. The same is true with method, or vinegar or anything.

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't use it personally.
If you feel like you must, maybe wipe stuff down with the Lysol, then wipe the area down once dry with the vinegar water solution.
We've used vinegar/water for decades with no issue with cleanliness!