Cleaning out Feral Houses for Winter

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A friend asked me to help clean out the houses she made for the feral colony by my house and get them ready for winter. I just want to know if I should bring anything special with me. Also, some of those towels and blankets have been in the houses for I don't know how long and they look pretty bad! If they are infested with anything can the infestation come on me, I plan to wear rubber gloves a hat and cover myself up as best as possible. Also not comfortable with putting these things in my washing machine, any suggestions?

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Rather than towels and blankets, encourage your friend to put a thick layer of straw or wood chip bedding in the cat houses instead. These are much better insulators and it is much easier to keep clean (just dump and replace when too packed down or dirty).

Regarding the cleaning itself, I would wear rubber gloves and old ratty clothing. When you are finished cleaning, I would throw away the gloves (and definitely throw away the towels and blankets), then as soon as you get home throw your clothes into the wash and take a shower. You might want to spray the bottom of your shoes with disinfectant as well.

With that said....my colony has always been healthy, so I have never taken this level of precaution. I'm assuming that the colony you are helping with might have some cats who aren't as healthy as are your indoor cats.

Have fun!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by lotsocats

Rather than towels and blankets, encourage your friend to put a thick layer of straw or wood chip bedding in the cat houses instead. These are much better insulators and it is much easier to keep clean (just dump and replace when too packed down or dirty).

Regarding the cleaning itself, I would wear rubber gloves and old ratty clothing. When you are finished cleaning, I would throw away the gloves (and definitely throw away the towels and blankets), then as soon as you get home throw your clothes into the wash and take a shower. You might want to spray the bottom of your shoes with disinfectant as well.

With that said....my colony has always been healthy, so I have never taken this level of precaution. I'm assuming that the colony you are helping with might have some cats who aren't as healthy as are your indoor cats.

Have fun!
Thanks for the advice. Can I cut up newspapers and use them to? Should I try to use a cleaner on the inside of the boxes before putting in straw and wood chips?

lotsocats

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Shredded newspaper is okay, but it tends to turn into a big lump when it gets wet. However, laying several thick layers of unshredded newspaper under the straw does help insulate quite well.

If you are concerned about germs you could spray a disinfectant or bleach, but remember that the smell might be really offensive to the cats who then might abandon the house. See what the others suggest, but I've only ever used soap and water when cleaning up after my healthy feral colony.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jamasmom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much for your help. I will certainly follow your advice.