Cleaning litter box room - dusty tile

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Problem: Dusty tile floor that don’t come clean. Charcoal litter

New home of 15 months. I currently have a bedroom dedicated “cat potty room” with 4 litter boxes. Only other furniture is a wicker/ metal stand and lamp and a germ guard air purifier.

Cleaning routine:

Most days I sweep the room for tracked litter.

Every so often I use a dry swiffer.

I noticed a couple of months ago the blinds were just caked like mad with litter and this started to open my eyes. I’ve started using a swiffer duster on the baseboards monthly.

Wet swiffer when needed. I’ve never wet mopped until this weekend.

Note on the air purifier.
I’m pretty sure it is helping some with the dust, the intake is always coated. However I feel a good amount goes right thru shooting back to the air/ wall it’s facing, as the front gets much build up as well.

The room smells dustier if it’s not on tho.

Issue:

I’ve started wearing flip flops when cleaning the boxes because the floors are getting so bad. Swiffer and sweeping not cutting it.

so this weekend I had used a paper towel to clean up some mess and the paper towel came up black! I use charcoal litter.

I decided to instead of mop, use a microfiber rag and mr clean so I could really clean the tiles. I did dry swiffer first the best I could to pick up.

within minutes my water is black. I feel like I’ve just spread a litter paste making it worse. Even trying to dump at the first signs of water you could not see thru ..was an impossible task.

Questions:
what do y’all use to keep your tile floors free of dust? Do you vacuum? Maybe a dedicated swiffer vac for that room? I don’t think that would be strong enough.

The wooden blinds. I’ve tried cleaning these with swiffer dusters. It’s not cutting it. Tried clorox wipes. Nothing wants to penetrate the film.

I’m wondering if I shouldput all the boxes closer together. They are currently on three walls.

one other troubling thing, the return to my air conditioner is right outside this room at floor level. I’ve noticed when when cleaning my windows thru out the house I have sticky black residue/film. May be a sign it’s circulating.

In my previous house they were in a large closet and I never really noticed this problem. In years past I had closed lid boxes , maybe that’s why the dust was more contained. my cats very long,maine coon style. One with long hair. She has to stretch up on the sides or she gets litter stick on her. Even with full back sanitary shave.

Some of this I’m sure is unintentional neglect on my cleaning efforts, not realizing how bad it was. I’ve never had them in a large open area like this. I also think litters are much more dusty these days.

I am embarrassed , ashamed even.

None the less I’m in this boat now , trying to fix , learn from my mistakes and do better moving forward.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, don't be ashamed, you've been doing all that you thought was right by your cats including having the air cleaner. Now that you're aware, maybe consider a different litter so that this issue doesn't continue.

I've been doing a combo of SoPhresh grass seed litter from petco and clay litter, and the dust is truly minimal while I still get the clumping, so it's better for me and the cat because we're not breathing it in. I take care of the boxes a couple times daily so there's no chance for smell to build up, and since he's been getting a probiotic his poops no longer stink.

Can you take the blinds down and give them a cleaning with a damp cloth that's been wetted with warm water and a little Dawn dish soap, then wipe with a dry cloth?

decided to instead of mop, use a microfiber rag and mr clean so I could really clean the tiles
Did you rinse so the chemical in the Mr clean isn't getting in their paws?

Last edited:

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom . Think about changing litter. The dust cannot be good for your kitties or even yourself to inhale.
Unfortunately, completely dustless litter is not feasible. They all break down into some type of fine dust.

When I first adopted Artie, I tried the Walnut cat litter. I did notice a fine brown dust in the bathroom where the litter box was kept.
What made me stop using it; was, when the fur on Artie's white front paws started turning brown.
I am now using Precious Cats by Dr Elseys... they all form dust.

And if you are using any chemicals, to wipe down the floor or the room with, I would rinse the areas with clean water, after the cleaning substance. Many cleaners are toxic to pets: between the chemicals, and the fumes.

For me, I Swiffer Dry the bathroom floor, and Vacuum it daily. I can still get dust in there, but, at least I am trying to control it.
For wash downs, I use Vinegar and water, sometimes mixed with a tiny squish of Dawn and water.
This is down every 2 weeks.

The air cleaner will help with odor, but I would think the filters would need to be changed very frequently. I do not know if there is any air cleaner which can fully minimize the dust created by litter.

It is all trial and error..

Good Luck!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I would also consider a lower dust litter. The charcoal is trying to lower smell, but ultimately, charcoal dust isn't good for you, or cats to breathe or the cats to injest from their fur.

I have one of these littermats which are great: https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/85...d930d18.04eb3721a1cea05f13a17d783741630c.jpeg I've even been able to clean it after a pee or poop accident, unlike other mats that the accident gets stuck in creases.

We vacuum daily but unfortunately we still have to sweep a few times daily around the ones that don't have mats. I use non-clumping litter as clumping agents are dusty by their nature. We also have air purifiers so that helps with dust too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, don't be ashamed, you've been doing all that you thought was right by your cats including having the air cleaner. Now that you're aware, maybe consider a different litter so that this issue doesn't continue.

I've been doing a combo of SoPhresh grass seed litter from petco and clay litter, and the dust is truly minimal while I still get the clumping, so it's better for me and the cat because we're not breathing it in. I take care of the boxes a couple times daily so there's no chance for smell to build up, and since he's been getting a probiotic his poops no longer stink.

Can you take the blinds down and give them a cleaning with a damp cloth that's been wetted with warm water and a little Dawn dish soap, then wipe with a dry cloth?

I’m going to order some of the sophresh today and try.
for those that clean multiple times a day. Where do you get your baggies for taking it out to the trash?!? I use an H‑E‑B bag once day. For years I had a case of 1000 poly bags that was perfect for multiple trips but I don’t seem to find anything like that avail anymore.
The blinds are big thick blinds, yes that is a great idea. I can pull them off one by one.

I did not rinse the Mr clean. This is what Imop the rest of the house with and I’ve never rinsed. I’ll add that to the schedule.

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with Furballsmom Furballsmom . Think about changing litter. The dust cannot be good for your kitties or even yourself to inhale.
Unfortunately, completely dustless litter is not feasible. They all break down into some type of fine dust.

When I first adopted Artie, I tried the Walnut cat litter. I did notice a fine brown dust in the bathroom where the litter box was kept.
What made me stop using it; was, when the fur on Artie's white front paws started turning brown.
I am now using Precious Cats by Dr Elseys... they all form dust.

And if you are using any chemicals, to wipe down the floor or the room with, I would rinse the areas with clean water, after the cleaning substance. Many cleaners are toxic to pets: between the chemicals, and the fumes.

For me, I Swiffer Dry the bathroom floor, and Vacuum it daily. I can still get dust in there, but, at least I am trying to control it.
For wash downs, I use Vinegar and water, sometimes mixed with a tiny squish of Dawn and water.

The air cleaner will help with odor, but I would think the filters would need to be changed very frequently. I do not know if there is any air cleaner which can fully minimize the dust created by litter.

It is all trial and error..

Good Luck!
Thank you
I will start adding a rinse to the mopping routine for the house. I’ll be looking for a vacuum today!

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi! I would also consider a lower dust litter. The charcoal is trying to lower smell, but ultimately, charcoal dust isn't good for you, or cats to breathe or the cats to injest from their fur.

I have one of these littermats which are great: https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/85...d930d18.04eb3721a1cea05f13a17d783741630c.jpeg I've even been able to clean it after a pee or poop accident, unlike other mats that the accident gets stuck in creases.

We vacuum daily but unfortunately we still have to sweep a few times daily around the ones that don't have mats. I use non-clumping litter as clumping agents are dusty by their nature. We also have air purifiers so that helps with dust too.
Great idea , I do need more mats. I actually Tuesday decided to do their full box changes. Decided to get rid of their petmate boxes. The lips are so low they always have litter kicked out.
haha I was shocked to find out natures miracle litter boxes are no longer a thing! One of my girls loved the high back for standing on. I needed boxes within the hour so I tried two from target. They seem prettydecent.. for two days in that is.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'm using the Petco brand So Phresh Scatter Shield High back Litter box and they have been working great. The front lip is shorter to make it easier for cats to enter and leave so I'm not sure that would help you with your cats.

I use the Bags on Board dog poop bags, the blue ones and have been using them for years. I've tried other brands but these hold up pretty well, don't have handles that interfere with the scooper, don't break open and hold 1 days worth of waste for my current 2 cats.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Where do you get your baggies for taking it out to the trash?!
I have a litter bucket (I think it's from when I was using Tidy Cats), and I use that to provide the necessary stability for holding a 10 gallon wastebasket liner. It takes about a week to fill the bag to the point where any more might cause the bag to break. (I clean the two litter boxes a couple times a day). The lid for the bucket hides the debris and keeps the smell contained, and then each week the used bag goes in the outgoing trash and a new one is placed in the bucket.

I get the bags/wastebasket liners from Costco.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
I have had a Litter Genie for years. I buy a new one around once per year, because it gets yucky.. I stock up on the refills. Since I live in an apartment building, and the trash room is down the hall, it is much easier for me to scoop a few times a day.
I empty it, and wash it down with the same enzymatic cat cleaner that I use for Geoffrey's vomit, and to wipe down his litter box, before washing.
It works...

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

They have a bunch . Is this what you use ?
IMG_3828.png

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's it, yes. (I don't remember for certain but I don't think I have the Extreme Clumping grass seed litter), but in any case, it should help.

Cat.mama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
and since he's been getting a probiotic his poops no longer stink.
Hello ! Revisiting this topic!
dumb question but do you use a new mop when you rinse?
Also what probiotic do you use? For years I used nutromax the vet brand not store brand for my dog and it helped tremendously. When he passed I continued for awhile using the store bought pro- DC vs forte, for the cats and never really saw a difference for their problems. They had lots of issues back then which are starting to surface again.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Artiemom, can you answer this part of the question, regarding if you use a new mop for the rinsing part of the job?

Also what probiotic do you use?
I'm using S. Boulardii.

artiemom

Top Cat
Purraise
Just saw this.
For probiotic, When it was needed, it was a Vet prescription Provable. The one over the counter is Proviable DC, I think. I cannot remember, since I do not use one for Geoffrey. For diarrhea, I used S. Boulardi-- every 2 hours. I think. I got the emergency diarrhea stop protocol from IBD Pets.

As far as cleaning: I do use a Wet Swiffer for the floor. My cleaner tries to wipe it down after. If I use the wet Swiffer, I just let it air dry and try to keep the cat from the area-- impossible to do.
For scrubby jobs, I use either Bartenders Friend powder or Bon Ami, and rinse very well-- The grit is tough to get out. I use this for the tub, and the sink.
I try to get my cleaner to use Vinegar, water, and a bit of Blue Dawn. And let it air dry..., or wipe down with paper towels. She feels she needs to add a bit of disinfectant for disinfecting.. but I am going to get her away from that. The smells are just too overwhelming. I have asthma, so I am very careful on scents. The combo she used the last time, was a bit too much-- for both of us. She only scrubs the bathroom and the kitchen floor.

hope this helps.