Cleaning cats fur

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a cat that hasn’t been eating at all so I started feeding her using a dropper but now her face and paws are dirty and I don’t know what I could use to clean her. I’ve been trying with just warm water and a wash cloth but it’s not working…
any ideas what I could use that won’t harm her?

thanks

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
So, she is not cleaning herself afterward? What exactly is not working about the warm water and wash cloth?

You could try a 'bib' for a cat so that some of the 'debris' is at least not on her paws. That can merely mean wrapping a small towel loosely around her upper neck.

Is there a reason so much is getting on her face and paws? What techniques have you tried in terms of how to dropper/syringe feed her to avoid so much getting outside of her mouth?

What ever happened with anything trying to resolve issues with your cat in your last thread, which I presume to be about the same cat? Trouble Getting Cat To Eat | TheCatSite

Last edited:

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it is dried, you might have to soak the areas with the water and cloth and then use a comb or flea comb to gently remove it. Soaking it first will soften it up and make it easier to remove. 🙂

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She hasn’t been eating because she’s been sick. It might be her teeth. I have an appointment at the vet for her but in the meantime, when I tried to feed her from the dropper she doesn’t like it, so she tries to fight it that’s why the food gets around her mouth. she’s 19 years old so she’s at the point, she’s not cleaning yourself as much as my other cats. I don’t know why her paws are getting so dirty either.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like more than just a tooth issue, IMO. Would the vet be willing to prescribe some pain meds to see if that would help? Have you looked up, or been given advice on, how to syringe feed a cat, and what to use in terms of food?

She may be too stressed after the feeding to try to clean herself.

How To Syringe Feed a Cat | Dr. Sandra Truli Springer, Holistic Vet House Call Services (allpetcareanimalhospital.com)
How to Syringe Feed a Cat - Explained in 06 Steps (2023) (mypetsguide.com)
Syringe Feeding a Cat | A Vet's Guide to Safe Feeding (feedingmypet.com)

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, I know the do’s and don’t’s of syringe feeding.

thanks

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When your vet sees her, ask if they could prescribe her an appetite stimulant to hopefully help her start eating on her own again (unless you have already tried this.) Will she allow you to clean her face and paws without struggling?

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update: took her to the vet today for her appointment. They did bloodwork, gave her an appetite stimulant also gave her fluids because she was dehydrated. Said her teeth look fine. Her heart is good and they did bloodwork. When we got home, she actually started cleaning her self and drank more water on her own. Hopefully she’ll start gaining some weight.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Update: took her to the vet today for her appointment. They did bloodwork, gave her an appetite stimulant also gave her fluids because she was dehydrated. Said her teeth look fine. Her heart is good and they did bloodwork. When we got home, she actually started cleaning her self and drank more water on her own. Hopefully she’ll start gaining some weight.
That's great!!! And cleaning herself is such a great sign, it means they feel content and good again. I hope her bloodwork comes back with good results. 19 with no dental issues and a good sounding heart is wonderful news. ❤

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Blood work showed shes probably in Stage 3 kidney. appetite stimulant helped her some. Vet suggested she should eat Hills urgent care a/d. She won’t eat it so I have to force feed her from syringe, they gave me. In order to do that I have to water down the food to get it through the syringe somewhere. I read if you water the food down too much did not gonna get the nutrients. Which doesn’t make sense to me because if I’m getting everything in her stomach, she still getting the nutrients from the food even though there’s water mixed in with it if I give her Friskies wet food, she will eat some of that not a whole lot, but she’ll eat that on her own but I know with kidney disease they shouldn’t get too much Phosphorus I’m trying to search for a cat food that is low in it but it might be low in that but high in calories or protein so I’m at a loss what to look for in a cat food, she needs to gain weight.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think the theory behind less nutrients when the food is watered down is only referring to the fact that adding water increases the volume for a cat to intake but lessens the caloric value because of the added water. In the end, it won't matter as long as you can get enough food down her in a day.

You may have already seen this food chart on Tanya's web site that lists phosphorus levels in many different foods, but here it is anyway.
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease- Canned Food Data USA (felinecrf.org)

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Blood work showed shes probably in Stage 3 kidney. appetite stimulant helped her some. Vet suggested she should eat Hills urgent care a/d. She won’t eat it so I have to force feed her from syringe, they gave me. In order to do that I have to water down the food to get it through the syringe somewhere. I read if you water the food down too much did not gonna get the nutrients. Which doesn’t make sense to me because if I’m getting everything in her stomach, she still getting the nutrients from the food even though there’s water mixed in with it if I give her Friskies wet food, she will eat some of that not a whole lot, but she’ll eat that on her own but I know with kidney disease they shouldn’t get too much Phosphorus I’m trying to search for a cat food that is low in it but it might be low in that but high in calories or protein so I’m at a loss what to look for in a cat food, she needs to gain weight.
Did the vet think if you mixed the Friskies in with some of the a/d, that would be OK for now until she maybe accepts a/d only?

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, didn’t mention to mix. Said she should eat full 5.5 oz can a day. Cat doesn’t like it, won’t eat so I’ve forced fed her a couple times a day. I checked the catfooddb.com to see how Hills prescription food rates and didn’t like a lot of the ingredients. I don’t have much trust in this vet as far as what food they should be eating. I had a cat a few years ago that got sick and stopped eating and they recommended this food with the same results. He wouldn’t eat it at all. I’ve read important thing is that your cat eats so I have given her some FF and some Friskies and she’s eaten a little of that so I figure if I feed her the hills twice a day, couple of teaspoons total and fancy feast or Friskies in between I’m going to go in that direction I think a lot of times when the vets push The prescription cat food, they get some kind of commission from the company.
She seems a lot better today, stronger and has been grooming herself

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Doing okay..Gave her appetite stimulant last night..I have dry cat food left out for my other cats and I’ve actually seen her go over and eat a few pieces, that’s when I know she’s hungry and I give her some wet food. She has moved her bowels the last few days which makes me happy. Still grooming herself so fur isn’t dirty now 😉
I’ve been trying to search for wet foods with low phosphorus. I dont know why vet put her on Hills a/d instead of Hills k/d, which is for cats with kidney issues.
Theres no way she’ll eat the prescription pet food on her own.

thank you for asking. 😉

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It sounds like she's doing well! I like to see them self grooming, that always makes me think they still feel good and are happy and content. :)
If she won't eat the a/d, do you think the vet would be willing to try the k/d? I think Royal Canin offers a kidney diet, too, if she's not wanting to eat the Hill's. My dog was put on a prescription diet many years ago and he absolutely hated it, so I switched the food and he was fine. If she's not a fan of prescription anything, did you see anything on the website that FeebysOwner FeebysOwner mentioned that would be locally available to you? (http://felinecrf.org/canned_food_usa.htm)
It's really kind of nice that you leave the dry food out for the other cats, so when you see her eating a bit of that you can give her some wet food! I hope she continues to improve. Is she drinking much water?

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It’s hard to judge how much water she’s drinking. after she eats sometimes she drinks on her own, other times if she doesn’t go to the water bowl I put it in front of her and she’ll drink. But I check the litter box near her ( the one she uses) throughout the day to make sure
that I see she has Peed. So far so good.
🤞🤞

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Babypaws Babypaws how is she doing today? :hugs:
It saddens me to say my poor little girl, Muffin, pasted away yesterday. I was holding and petting her on my lap when she took her last breath. I tried my best to keep her alive by force feeding her food and giving her water by a dropper. I just couldn’t get her to eat anything on her own the last few days and she stopped drinking water on her own. It breaks my heart she’s gone but I pray she’s at peace and with my other kitty I lost 2 years ago and with my son who I lost in 2019. i keep thinking I have to feed her and I look at the empty spot where she slept. 😢😢

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so sorry Babypaws Babypaws :hugs: You really went above and beyond to keep her as comfortable as possible in her age and declining health. I too experienced one losing his appetite, as well as refusing water, and those two things together usually means the time is near. As hard as it is to lose them, I'm glad she went in your arms and you were there with her.
You have had an incredible amount of loss in your life in a very short time. Sometimes life just doesn't seem fair. I will be thinking of you and praying for your loved ones you've lost. 🙏❤

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry Babypaws Babypaws :hugs: You really went above and beyond to keep her as comfortable as possible in her age and declining health. I too experienced one losing his appetite, as well as refusing water, and those two things together usually means the time is near. As hard as it is to lose them, I'm glad she went in your arms and you were there with her.
You have had an incredible amount of loss in your life in a very short time. Sometimes life just doesn't seem fair. I will be thinking of you and praying for your loved ones you've lost. 🙏❤
Thank you for your kind words. Of All the pets I’ve ever had in my life Muffin was the one that I had the longest. I remember the day when I first saw her. It was love at first sight, there was no question, no hesitation, I wanted her. I know she lived a long life,19 years, I miss her but I also feel relieved, I didn’t want to give her up but I didn’t have the courage to bring her to the vet to be put to sleep. I am glad that she passed away in my arms. I don’t know how much longer I could’ve been able to feed her and give her water every day and see her decline. I prayed to God to let her go quickly, and he answered my prayers. 🙏🏻