Cleaning cat's ear

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
flip the ears 'inside out' and wipe with an unscented baby wipe.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our vet gave us a bottle of Epi-Otic to clean Midnight's ears with, using a cottonball.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I really have a hard time cleaning my cat's ears, they don't allow me to touch it.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I'll send Rosie around, she loves cleaning Jack's ears out
So does our Whisper! That girl will clean everybody's ears....including ours, if we'd let her!

When Banshee was alive, her ears needed to be cleaned once every week or so because she had really bad allergies and sinus problems that would make her ears dirty. We used Epi-Otic and large cotton balls. I would hold Banshee and DH would squirt some of the liquid into her ear, close her ear and (gently!) rub the ear. Then he'd use the large cotton ball to clean the inside. That's how our vet taught us. Banshee didn't like it, but she didn't try to fight us.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MysteryCat

I really have a hard time cleaning my cat's ears, they don't allow me to touch it.
Yeah Midnight fights us, and closes his ears to keep us from cleaning them now. But I have 2 other people to help me hold him still. I wouldn't be able to clean his ears by myself. Do you have anyone that could help you?

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Rosiemac

I'll send Rosie around, she loves cleaning Jack's ears out
Midnight is constantly licking Luna's ears. She's got the cleanest ears any cat could ever have. He grosses not only us out, but her to!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mysterycat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by My4LLMA

Yeah Midnight fights us, and closes his ears to keep us from cleaning them now. But I have 2 other people to help me hold him still. I wouldn't be able to clean his ears by myself. Do you have anyone that could help you?
I don't think if we can make it, Charlie never wanted to be hold, he's a mean cat! Charlie is cleaning Max's ears, but Max thinks that Charlie is playing with him.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If his ears are really bad you could also bring him to the vet, they'll clean his ears. That's what we first did with Midnight, until they showed us how to do it on our own.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I just used unscented baby wipes. My cats seem to enjoy it
. Although, I rarely have to clean their ears. If you cats ears are really dirty, I would have a vet look at them. Ear mites cause alot of dirt. But some cats just have more ear dirt then others
. There is also that solution other's have suggested. I have never used that product, but it sounds like a good thing to have on hand.

erinroro

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have one cat who gets yucky black stuff in his ears every once in a while. It appears to be itchy because he will scratch them alot. It is not ear mites so my vet recommended Zymox OTIC HC. I put a couple drops in each ear, close his ear and gently rub to make sure it gets where it is supposed to, and then wipe off any excess. Then to the next ear. He does not like it, and when I let him go, he jumps down and shakes his head and hides from me for a while. But the next day his ears are clean and he is a happy camper!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use a q-tip. But I've been doing this for years and unless you can hold the cat still enough for using it, its best to use a smalle cotton ball to clean out the ears.

My cats are show cats and get baths, so cleaning the ears is just part of the grooming before the bath. I hold the cat in my lap and hold the head still, fold the ear back and just clean what I can see - they more/less have pretty clean ears with just a tiny amount of wax - nothing dark or ear mites.