Cleaning Cat Vomit (accidents) From Carpet...

grooverite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello all!

I'm trying to figure out how to go about cleaning my carpet in my new apartment. My cat Toby has already puked 5 times on the carpet and I just used paper towels and warm water and a brush to clean the mess but a light stain remains on the carpet. I'd like to know what everyone is using so I can figure out what to do and use for my purpose. I've come across a site where certain persons who clean carpets for a living have gone to customers homes and noticed light, white, bleached out spots on the carpet and its from the owners leaving the product like Natures Miracle in without removing it with water because they think leaving the solution in will kill the urine smell. Well, it also will bleach the carpet if it has color unfortunately. My carpet is a light aqua marine color so I'm weary of having this happen. What is everyone using to clean up messes on their carpets? Any carpet cleaners like Bisell and what types of solutions are you using?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grooverite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm about to purchase Natures Miracle but not sure if I should get a Bisell Spotbot. Have no idea what will work best for my situation.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I use woolites carpet cleaner and follow the directions on the bottle. I have light gray carpets. I have forgotten to blot it up and then the stain doesn't come out as well. I also have a big carpet cleaner but I don't use it for every stain; only to do a whole room at once.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We had vintage Oriental rugs in our living and dining rooms. Casper barfs constantly due to kidney disease - both food and bile.
The rugs were heavily patterned so once cleaned it hid the stains well. We finally gave up and took them out to get rid of. I don't think we're going to replace with anything new until Casper is not with us any longer - which hopefully will be many years. I'd rather he vomits on the wood floor - it's much easier to clean.
Wall to wall carpeting is another matter entirely and I don't know what we would have done. The Woolite is probably the best solution and maybe, getting them professionally cleaned periodically too.

arouetta

Slave of Bastet's acolytes
Top Cat
Purraise
I found something called Spot Shot. I tried it in desperation when Resolve pet failed in cleaning puke spots and where Shadow dragged her butt on the carpet. Spot Shot cleaned everything, even the months old puke spots Resolve failed on.

mokapi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Nature's Miracle, but haven't had an issue with it bleaching carpets.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

grooverite

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I use woolites carpet cleaner and follow the directions on the bottle. I have light gray carpets. I have forgotten to blot it up and then the stain doesn't come out as well. I also have a big carpet cleaner but I don't use it for every stain; only to do a whole room at once.
My carpet only covers my main room which is why I don't think I need a carpet cleaning vacuum.....yet, lol!

We had vintage Oriental rugs in our living and dining rooms. Casper barfs constantly due to kidney disease - both food and bile.
The rugs were heavily patterned so once cleaned it hid the stains well. We finally gave up and took them out to get rid of. I don't think we're going to replace with anything new until Casper is not with us any longer - which hopefully will be many years. I'd rather he vomits on the wood floor - it's much easier to clean.
Wall to wall carpeting is another matter entirely and I don't know what we would have done. The Woolite is probably the best solution and maybe, getting them professionally cleaned periodically too.
I just moved into my studio apartment so I'm just trying to see/find out whats out there. Believe me, I wish I had hardwood floors instead of this carpet, lol!

I use this product: Orange Oxy Pet Stain & Odor Remover Spray, 32 oz - Out! It seems to work well. I've used it on a light cream colored rug with colored squares and it didn't fade the colors.
Thats good to know! Thanks for your help!

I found something called Spot Shot. I tried it in desperation when Resolve pet failed in cleaning puke spots and where Shadow dragged her butt on the carpet. Spot Shot cleaned everything, even the months old puke spots Resolve failed on.
You know, I was about to purchase Resolve on Amazon but then kept coming across Natures Miracle and ended up getting that instead. Your response tells me I made the right choice! Thanks! :)

I use Nature's Miracle, but haven't had an issue with it bleaching carpets.
Thats good to know! I read a forum of professional carpet cleaning people that stated they came across clients who used it (NM) and they had used it without blotting it out with water which caused whitening of the area/spot. Glad to hear you don't have an issue with it!

Thank you all for your responses! If anyone else would like to chime in and state what they use, please do so!

calico76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello! I haven't posted in years but stumbled upon this thread today. I use a solution of 50% white vinegar and 50% room temp water. It takes out the stain every time! You have to use a decent amount and a spray bottle on it's hardest setting (not a mist) but it is safe for the animals and doesn't leave any residue to soil the carpets. Works on lots of stains not just from our fur babies! Good luck!

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I have had much success with Resolve. I think the key is to wash the spot with plain water afterwards. That gets what is left of the stain out and doesn't leave residue behind. I have beige carpets, and the only problem I've had is that if I don't rinse, the residue attracts dirt, and then I have a nice brown spot instead of an orange pukey one.

Oh, and I also stopped feeding Mingo fish or seafood. He must be allergic to it because he always throws it up.

debbila

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I used Resolve the instructions said to work it in with a damp mop. I used my wetted rubber broom, the little bristles scrubbed the stain and brought out the cat hair too! You don't have to rinse the carpet with water. Then I let it dry and vacuumed it out.
As an added bonus, now I use the rubber broom ( like raking ) to get the cat hair off the carpet before regular vacuuming.