Cleaning Cat Pee From Mattress

apesusi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My son locked the cat in his room last night. The cat peed and pooped on his bed. *sigh* We always tell my son to leave his door open so the cat can come out to go to the bathroom.
Of course, we had just washed my sons sheets and hadn't put the waterproof mattress pad back on the bed yet. So the pee went through the blanket that was on the bottom and into the mattress.

Will enzyme cleaner work on the mattress? Anything else I need to do to keep the cat from doing it again? Do I need a feliway plug-in in there or something like that?

Thanks.

howtoholdacat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use white vinegar to remove urine odor but the smell might linger. I probably would use an enzyme cleaner in this case. Some of them smell quite good.

I'm not sure that extra steps need to be taken in your situation. If the cat was locked in the room for a long time she just couldn't hold it anymore. That's not a behavioral problem. It could potentially become one if she still smells her urine in the mattress. If that happens she may continue to use that spot. First, I'd try cleaning the mattress really, really, really thoroughly. Hopefully, it was just a one time deal!

laceface

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I agree, enzyme cleaners are awesome. My kittens had accidents in the bed, before I realized they were still too small to be free roaming the bedroom, and we used an enzyme cleaner- can't smell it anymore.

Could you put a box in his room, incase he accidently locks the cat in again? Good luck!

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For regular cat pee I have used with sucess the woolite stick. For sick cat/not neutered male bleach water and a shop vac. I would invest in the zippered matress plastic protectors. I get them from a dollar and up store-the twin sized is 6 and no matter how you flip the mattress its always in place. Pretty sure sears has them too.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

apesusi

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with you that it's not a behavior problem. I just didn't know where else to ask the cleaner question.

We usually have a waterproof mattress pad on his bed to protect the mattress, I just didn't put it on last night after washing his sheets. Of course, it's the one night where I didn't have it on.

I poured the cleaner on the mattress and I'll let it dry. Here's to hoping it comes out. I also put a feliway plug-in in the room just in case.

Thanks!!!

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The plastic thing I am talking about would not need to be removed or washed(actually I wash the top with baby wipes. I only mentioned it in case it happens again.
http://www.target.com/Vinyl-Zippered.../dp/B000BFK7R0
not where I get mine but close enough to show you

You could easily put the matress pad waterproof fitted sheet on top. With the amount of cats I have this has saved quite a few cleaning hassles

Ms. Freya

Advisor
Veteran
Purraise
We had almost this exact situation a few months ago. Someone on here posted a solution of peroxide, dish soap and Vinegar (I believe) and it work wonderfully on our mattress. I'll post the link if I can find it.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There's also a product called Zero Odor that has worked great for me in eliminating odors - you can get it at Bed Bath & Beyond.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For matress odors in general, a good remedy is: after cleaning the matress with your cleaner of choice, while it's still damp, pour powdered Borax on it, and let it dry. Then vacuum it up. Works great. But for the deep-down odor, you doo need a liquid so it can seep into the mattress all the way. I like enzyme cleaners for this.