claws or declawed?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not that there are a lot of "show people" on the site, but keep in mind that if you pick out a really pretty kitty and one day are bitten by the show bug, that most associations will not allow declawed cats to compete in any section. CFA is one - no declawed cats period - even in the HHP class.

I guess that since I've shown in HHP and pedigree, any cat I adopt, I kinda tend to look at the cat for "show potential"

gizmocat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most of us get moggies from shelters. I've heard of purebreds in shelters but they wouldn't come with papers would they?.
I am actually not sorry that Gizmo is declawed; the cat is perfectly normal, playful and affectionate; she has a very strong grip, is in no pain, and my furniture remains intact. She still has all her instincts even though she doesn't have the claws.
Interestingly she has stopped most of her 'sharpening' elsewhere since getting her kitty palace. So people with 'furniture problems' would do well to get some nice well made cat trees. I will do this in future if I get a cat with claws. Meanwhile Gizmo is doing well enough for now, and she's enough for me.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Goldenkitty was referring to the Household Pet Division (HHP) in a cat show. This is for moggies of any variety and purebreeds who don't meet their standard. TICA allows declawed cats in HHP only. CFA does not as far as I know. So if you want to show some organizations will allow it and others won't. I've actually shown Autumn in HHP but she didn't like it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I put this on the new cats thread but thought I'd post it here too so you know what we ended up doing:

Weâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re picking up our new fur baby at 2:15 today. We looked at the Humane Society last night and found a cat that loves other cats so we can get a 2nd cat in a while. Heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s about 2 years old and heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s a brown, black, and white medium haired tabby. Heâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s very playful and is fine with being held and petted and combed. He loves the laser pointer so we had to get one of those. We picked up a bunch of other supplies last night too. He has all his claws so we got a nice scratching pole with the rope wrapped on it. Weâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]re going to get a nice cat tree too. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m off work at noon so Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll go home and get the litter box filled and put away anything that he can get into before going to pick him up. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]m so excited to get him. Iâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ll take pictures this weekend and try to post some pictures next week. Neither me or my husband have had a cat in over 20 years so wish us luck.

euterpe

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good luck! I'm glad you found a cat you like. Any thoughts on a name for him yet?

Can't wait to see pictures

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

peeps

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They were calling him Frankie and we like that so we're keeping that name. It suits him.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
From your description of him (black/brown/white) he's a brown tabby with white isn't he?
Take pictures as soon as you can.

lukin28

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
if you clip their nails enough, the vein inside will eventually recede further back and then you can then clip the nail further back, then they cant scratch as much. I never had a clawing problem with my cats, well one of then used to scratch the moldings around the doors, but I got him one of those cardboard scratchers and he LOVES it. I volunteer at a shelter and some of those cats that come in that were declawed will never be adopted because they are either mean or they dont use the litter. Id rather deal with some scratches than poopy floors!!