Claw trimming.

brian77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
At the vet yesterday getting my baby spayed and they did a complementary claw clipping. I was just wondering how often it should be done or should I have it done at all.

louann jude

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I do mine at home every couple of weeks.I use a pair of toe nail clips for mine. I have been doing it since they were little. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

brian77

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Louann.

Cataria

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Trimming is not a bad thing, and often necessary for indoor cats. If they get too long, they could eventually curl the whole way under and embed themselves in the paw; that would be super painful! I don't keep a schedule on how often I trim my cats' claws, I just trim them when I notice them getting too long.

Ways to know the claws are getting too long:

1. The claws are so sharp that they are hurting you when the cat does normal cat stuff like kneading their paws on your lap and so on.

2. You can still see the claws in a cat's foot sticking out partially, even when the cat has them retracted.

3. The cat's claws get stuck in the carpet when walking -- definitely do something at this point, they are way too long, and it hurts their toes to keep getting their feet caught that way! I accidentally let Meko get to that point once, and I felt really bad. It even hurt her to trim the claws because squeezing the toes to make the claws come out hurt her. :(

When checking the claws, make sure to check the length of all of the claws. Sometimes two or three claws will be super sharp while the rest will be dull -- if you only noticed the dull ones, you wouldn't realize that there were sharp ones that needed to be trimmed. Also, usually only the front claws need to be trimmed; I very rarely see a need to trim the back claws. Check them, but you probably won't need to trim the back claws every time you choose to do the front.