claw trimming?

kara_leigh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by captiva

First of all she told me to toss my guillotine type clippers and just get the $5 ones that look like scissors. I did it with no problem.
I just use the same fingernail clippers that I use to cut my nails. I use it sideways, and they cut perfectly and so easily. No special tools necessary!

Originally Posted by mrblanche

I not only trim my four, but when I'm at the shelter, I trim all the cats available for adoption. I rarely have one that I don't succeed with, and I've never been bitten or scratched.
Same here! I cut all my own cats' nails and I may get a wiggle or two, but no one has ever scratched or bit me. Thomas and Walter's foster mom told me when she first brought them over "I trimmed their nails for you, b/c it's kind of hard" I just looked at her and thought to myself "Please!" lol

I trim them about once a week, but it really depends. I only do it once I notice that their nails are sticking in my clothes when they knead, or if they are playing with me and they feel really sharp. I tend to not cut them until they are really sharp, though.

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
I started clipping claws when I married my husband and his cat decided to like scratching my sofa. We reduced the damage while training her to scratch elsewhere. I continued the practice with Lucy and Carly. I got lazy with Lucy since she didn't do any damage, but I find I need to do it about once a month because she gets caught on blankets and tends to panic. Carly needs it because she likes to knead my neck. The kittens are now learning and having trimmed nails limits the damage while they are learning the right places to scratch.

Kiefer does have dark nails though they become clear near the tips.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I trim Larry's claws with just regular people nail clippers. He's so docile about it, it's no problem.

I started off, when I first got him, by just gently massaging and rubbing his paws while he was really relaxed and sleepy. I then moved on to using that time to clip the front claws. I don't do the back ones. He just lies there and purrs....he's really good about it.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ritz is a strictly indoor cat. I start to trim her front paw nails about every two to three weeks or when they get caught in the carpet or her favorite tunnel toy. I wait until she is in REM sleep (she twitches and sometimes talks in her sleep, that's how I can tell), to trim her nails. I can trim her dew claw most any time--it's not at all sensitive on her.
I'm not very good at cutting nails, the cut is not very clean. May need to get a different type of nail cutter.
I don't worry too much about the back claws; Ritz will sometimes chew those herself. The cat stratchers get off the top layer of the nail , don't do much else.
Note that most professional pet sitters will come to your house and trim nails. Much less stressful and probably cheaper than taking the cat to the vets.

justjayde

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have always clipped the nails of every cat I have owned

With Kismet I wait until he comes over to snuggle - if his bread making hurts me, I get out the nail scissors and trim them really fast.

Sometimes he gets up and runs off for a few minutes but then he always comes back so I finish the job. Usually I can get them all done on the first try though, he is used to me playing with his feet (I give him kitty massages on his feet, neck and shoulders ) Usually I can do all front in 1 minute flat. I do them probably twice a week, usually just taking the point off but sometimes shorter.

I do Kismets BACK nails about once a month.

He does not like the nail file so if there is a sharp edge we just tough it out for a few days or I try to make a neater clip on the toenail.

luvmyparker

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by JustJayde

I do Kismets BACK nails about once a month
Yeah, Find the back ones don't need trimming very often. The front ones get razor sharp pretty fast though.

BTW, I LOOOOOOVE the pic in your signature!!

nsdragonfly

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
by the scruff of the neck...just like a mother cat would do and have someone else cut their nails for you. This keeps them still just enough that they won't squirm and you can trim their nails. (and it won't hurt them) I do this with my oldest siamese as she won't let me cut her nails at all. The rest just lie there and let me trim their nails. oh and i just use a pair of 'human' nail clippers.

justjayde

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LuvMyParker

Yeah, Find the back ones don't need trimming very often. The front ones get razor sharp pretty fast though.

BTW, I LOOOOOOVE the pic in your signature!!
Yea Kismet needs his front ones done every few days - 2 or 3 times a week but his back are easier.

Thanks! I need to make a new siggy - this one is his cute kitty face, he is looking more refined now lol