Claw problem (split/hollow)

Saik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

I've tried to search for someone with a similar issue but haven't quite found something that matches this.
When Romeo (male cat, 1y) was a kitten the vet clipped his claws really quite short and after that happened he had issues with some claws "splitting". They almost looked crushed, I think he kept biting them. Most of them have healed now and look normal but one looks completely malformed... it'd open and nothing's inside? I never checked from this angle before since he hasn't been limping or seemed in pain, no blood etc. and am honestly shocked by how it looks... Should I take him to the vet? Anyone else had this happen?
PXL_20230119_213501157.jpg
PXL_20230119_213505715.jpg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
That's amazing that he isn't hurting, but its good, --I guess?

I don't believe it's urgent (unless he gets something stuck inside there, maybe that's why you've seen him chewing in the past, he was trying to get something unstuck?) but I'd be curious, at his next wellness check, what the vet says.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Saik

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's amazing that he isn't hurting, but its good, --I guess?

I don't believe it's urgent (unless he gets something stuck inside there, maybe that's why you've seen him chewing in the past, he was trying to get something unstuck?) but I'd be curious, at his next wellness check, what the vet says.
Yeah I'm very surprised to see how it looks like when he's never limped from it. From the top it looks like there's a fresh claw that's growing out, I've been thinking he's going to shed the broken parts. Debris does get stuck in there and done my best to keep it clean (seems like that was enough for the other claws this happened to, but not this one..), but there's still some debris that I can't access. Like black fluff.
I think he's due for some vaccines in the next few weeks so I'll update when he's been to the vet

Attachments