Classical music

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's pretty vast, sweets! I played classical violin for 11 years and my father wouldn't let us listen to pop until we were 13. LOL! He actually had a full-scholarship to Julliard, which he turned down. He didn't want to be a starving musician. So--It depends what you're in the mood for.
For the most part, anything by Mozart has mass appeal.
Bach is light and romantic.
The most romantic of them all: Paginini
For a full symphony, the Russians: Tchaikovsky, Rachmaninov, Prokofiev, Stravinsky, are all "sweeping" in their sound. For a more modern take on that, the Finnish composer, Sabelius, is easy to listen to.
The Germans are dramatic, like a winter storm....Beethoven, Brahms, Wagner, Schubert is the most romantic of them.
For soft piano that's almost wistful and aching, so beautiful: Schumann.
For happier piano, like "ballet or lunch music": Chopin
Modern, bold mix of symphonic and sonata: Dvorzak and Liszt

Any cello music moves me.
That's just a start....hope it helps. PM me if you want to know anything!

cougar

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I played the cello for some time, and I love to listen to classical every now and then...
Dvorak is where it's at

-Brandon

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ash_bct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sashacat421

The most romantic of them all: Paginini

The Germans are dramatic, like a winter storm....Beethoven, Brahms, Wagner, Schubert is the most romantic of them.

For soft piano that's almost wistful and aching, so beautiful: Schumann.

Modern, bold mix of symphonic and sonata: Dvorzak and Liszt
Thank you Eddie and Brandon!!!!
These are exactly what I am looking for, I want different music to suit my mood... Some days only classical will work LOL
I listen to the obvious ones, Beetoven, Tchaikovski, Mozart, ect, and am looking for someone that I haven't heard
guess I want to expand my horizons you could say

dawnofsierra

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Looks as if you're about covered here, Ash! Just wanted to agree that I, too, very much enjoy classical, as does Sierra! When we're not listening to one of her Music for Cats cd's or her Harp album, we have soft classical playing! It's very soothing and relaxing for both of us!

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I always loved piano pieces... anything by Chopin goes down well... but Debussy creates some really wonderful movements in his music. I love Beethoven, Bach, but for really pretty, bizzarely enough try John Rutter. It's not the classical stuff you're thinking of, but choral pieces that he writes are so beautifully put together. I adore Schumann and Schubert.... but I would also think Vivaldi deserves a mention somewhere in here! Basically you just need to play around and find something that you like best

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah! Ashely, it was late when I posted, but Vivaldi is one never to miss. Anything by him, as well as his protegee, Corelli, is just beautiful! Emma is so right on that!!!

okeefecl

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My favorite is Holst's "The Planets", especially Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity. I also like Baroque and Renaissance music.

kathryn41

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A 'modern' or pre-modern composer in the Classical style that you will also probably enjoy is Debussy - check out La Mer or Afternoon of a Phaun.

I have NPR on the radio here - classical music - all the time and the cats, my husband and I all enjoy classical music. My husband is actually a HUGE Wagner fan.

Kathryn

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I love classical music. To me the "older" the better. I prefer the baroque era composer's. Some of my favorites: Vivaldi (the Four Season) Bach's Brandenburg Concerto's. Also Albinoni, Corelli and Purcell. Good orchestra's: Academy of St. Martins in the field. I even like Gregorian chant type music. A good group: Lionheart 1200. I'll have to scan my collection for other names. Your local library should have a good selection of classical music.

snowleop

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, here are a couple of must-have CDs:

Pablo Casals playing the Bach suites for cello. Think Bach can't be passionate? Listen to these. They're beautiful. (Comes in two volumes):

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...597594-1064621

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=music

I'm also a big Glenn Gould fan but I'm not sure he's for everyone. I love his performance of anything Bach. If you do get his CDs, it's fun to listen to him humming along with the music at certain parts.

I love listening to the Bach partitas:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...ce&s=classical

Also, if you play the piano, this CD will really inspire you to play some 2 and 3 part inventions:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...ce&s=classical

grapegal45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh I just love classical music! What a fun post! I agree with the Vivaldi fans....that is where I was first introduced to classical music years ago. Corelli is good as is Bach., Beethovan, etc. You will probably have to experiment as with any music, there will be some you like and some you don't. Keep trying until you find the style you like. The Four Seasons by Vivaldi is a good place to start. I would never tire of listening to that. You may even recognize some of that. I like to go even earlier in time...I have a particular fondness for early medieval music., there's a lot of that out there too. If you like vocal music I would try Anonymous 4. This is a modern group of 4 women who specialize in medieval music although they have a beautiful early American Hymns one too, and at least one Christmas one. There are quite a few CDs by them which you could probably get at your local library. Anyway, they sing like angels, the word beautiful doesn't do their music justice. Is there a classical music radio station where you live? That's a good thing to try and then you can get a feel for the different composers, time periods, styles.

coolcat

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OMG!
Elizabeth you really amazing me!
you must be a genious!
is soo good know so many people like the classical music!

Ok I like listen a lot, a lot, a lot of music all kind of genders,
talking about classical I don´t have completly works of all authors but I can mention some so cool IMO!

-A night in the bald mountain, Modest Mussorgsky
-dance sable from katchmanchurian
-Sinfony of new world from Dvorak
-Habanera of Carme-Bizzet

& My favourite Peter Illiah Tchaikovsky with all their great works, nuttecracker, 1812 simphony, pathetic simphony, etc....
cool thread!

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh Rigel, not at all! I just played violin for many years in a symphony when I was in school.... look at what other people brought up! I ignored Purcell and Debussy (gasp!) and there's a whole host of medieval and renaissance music that is wonderful for Ashley. I do like Luis Migel, however.....

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What a great lot of stuff has already been recommended!! I'm skimming posts just now because I'm trying to pack as much as possible into a little time, so I may have missed it -- but I didn't see any reference to the concerto repertoire. My Desert Island music is Bruch -- the 1st of his Violin concertos (the other two are fine, as well) and the Scottish Fantasy. Tchaikovsky, Brahms, Mendelssohn, Sibelius, Beethoven -- all stunning violin concertos. Piano concertos, too, esp Tchaikovsky, Beethoven, Rachmaninov, Liszt, Schumann, Greig, who am I leaving out? Those are my passions -- well some of them

Have fun!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ash_bct

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone! You are all so sweet

I have so many suggestions that now I don't even know where to start!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by ash_bct

Thank you everyone! You are all so sweet

I have so many suggestions that now I don't even know where to start!
What a lovely problem to have!