Classic Literature, suggestions needed

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
A survey of British librarians has turned up this list. The top 30 books you must read before you die.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Bible
The Lord of the Rings Trilogy by JRR Tolkien
1984 by George Orwell
A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen
All Quiet on the Western Front by E M Remarque
His Dark Materials Trilogy by Phillip Pullman
Birdsong by Sebastian Faulks
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
The Lord of the Flies by William Golding
The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time by Mark Haddon
Tess of the d’Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
Winnie the Pooh by AA Milne
Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Graham
Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
The Time Traveller’s Wife by Audrey Niffenegger
The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
The Prophet by Khalil Gibran
David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
Middlemarch by George Eliot
The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver
A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess
A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzenhitsyn

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Lol that's a HUGE list for me to remember. So i'll add, anything by-Thomas Hardy, the Bronte sisters & Jane Austen

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sohni

A survey of British librarians has turned up this list. The top 30 books you must read before you die.
Poo, that means i have 19 to go. But i am very picky about what i read so i may still have some left when i pass on

norachelhere

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Lewis Carolls Alice in Wonderland was awesome. To Kill a Mockingbird was a good read. The Great Gatsby made me want to rip my eye balls out. . .

I really like Lewis Caroll!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I'm on my way now! I finished up A Christmas Carol the other day and I started Jane Eyre tonight. So far I'm into it!

Originally Posted by Dragoriana

Lol that's a HUGE list for me to remember. So i'll add, anything by-Thomas Hardy, the Bronte sisters & Jane Austen
I picked up collections of the Bronte Sisters and Jane Austen the other day! I found them at Sams Club for $13 each. The Jane Austen one has Pride & Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Emma, Persuasion, Mansfield Park, Lady Susan, and Northanger Abbey in it. If Mooch wasn't literally sleeping hanging over my arm I'd get up and get the other book to tell you what ones are in there. I know there are 5 of them.

As you can imagine, each book is very heavy with all that in there. But they are such pretty books! (leather bound with gold embossing writing) I'd like to go back and get some of the other ones they had too. I'm truly becoming a book collector. Moving will be fun.

dragoriana

MajesticFloof
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

I picked up collections of the Bronte Sisters and Jane Austen the other day! I found them at Sams Club for $13 each. The Jane Austen one has Pride & Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility, Emma, Persuasion, Mansfield Park, Lady Susan, and Northanger Abbey in it. If Mooch wasn't literally sleeping hanging over my arm I'd get up and get the other book to tell you what ones are in there. I know there are 5 of them.
Well i could say, you're not the only one with that collection
On my shelf i have Pride & prejudice, Sense & sensibility, Persuasion, Northanger Abbey, Emma, Mansfield Park, Jane Eyre and Wuthering heights
i also have Tomas Hardy - tess of the D'urbervilles & the Mayor of Casterbridge

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoochNNoodles

As you can imagine, each book is very heavy with all that in there. But they are such pretty books! (leather bound with gold embossing writing) I'd like to go back and get some of the other ones they had too. I'm truly becoming a book collector. Moving will be fun.
http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page Project Gutenberg has a lot of your list available for free. Anything that is more than 99 years old (and you can thank the Disney Corporation for that length) is free for anyone to publish however they want.