Claiming Laps As Territory?

Dinosnores

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've been volunteering in my local shelter and helping out with the cats. It's been super rewarding and I love being able to spend time with the cats and how much I've learned about cat behavior from interacting with so many different cats from different backgrounds. My shelter has multiple cat rooms, and I often spend an hour or so in each one interacting with all the cats, brushing them, playing with them, and making sure everyone is doing well.

There is one behavior that I've seen cats display in each cat room, and I'm not sure what the best way is to diffuse or discourage it. Essentially, there will be one cat in each room who immediately walks up to greet whoever enters, and then "claims" their lap as soon as they sit down. While they're in the person's lap, they'll hiss and swat at any other cat who comes close, which means the person doesn't really get to spend time with any other cats and has a bad impression of the cat in their lap. I feel like it might be hindering some adoptions and the more shy cats are being passed up because they don't get a "turn" with anyone. This "claiming" cat will change, too. Once they get adopted, another confident cat will step up to take their place and repeat the behavior.

When it's happening to me, I don't allow the claiming cat to get worked up enough to lash out. I wear him out with play in the beginning so he's content to relax in a corner while I interact with the other cats. I also try not to sit on the floor so he has nothing to claim. I can't expect every visitor to the cat rooms to do this, though. My main question is how can I discourage this behavior in the long term? Is it just inevitable that this dynamic will emerge when you have upwards of 10 cats in a room together all vying for limited attention from visitors? It breaks my heart to see sweet cats being passed up simply because they don't dominate the space and demand immediate attention.

Anne

Site Owner
Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
What an interesting question. I don't have a lot of experience in shelter situations though. Maybe jcat jcat can help?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have been to a cat adoption center where that dynamic happens. I don't know though if there is anything that can be done. Maybe try to time play sessions to right before busy time so that specific alpha is worn out? Or if someone is spending time in that room go in and point out the other cats?

As someone who knows cats, I recognize it as the alpha taking charge and personally try to pay attention to the others when visiting. I had one experience where that alpha got aggressive towards the others when I tried. But that behavior is echoed even in kids on playgrounds. There will always be one or two who are the alphas and everyone else gets out of their way or follows their lead. If something happens to the alpha another takes their place.

I wish I had a better answer. :dunno:

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mmm, let's see..

First, probably do something as simple as informing new visitors about the situation. Remind them that the lap wars does not determine the quality of a potential kitty mate. Encourage folks to engage and travel around a bit more instead of just laps.

Secondly, remove all situations where sitting can be done - so no sitting on the floor allowed, no chairs available. Any reasonable animal person will understand, it would be like the equivalent of avoiding bringing in food or toys in a group of dog strangers or suddenly bringing in new objects in an arena of horses. People will have to adapt to rules, they are just going to have to suck it up! Make it official.

Third, do they all have to be the in same room? Are there any separate or more private rooms where there can be a solo cat and/or max 2-3 cats at a time? Diminishing the amount of kitties in a room might help during visiting periods. If possible, move some kitties into another absent/unused room where one and one time can be done. Easier said than done of course, but if it can be done it might assist.

I think we all know that we can't "punish" this behaviour, especially with shelter and rescue cats that could have an unfortunate past and defeat the purpose of emotionally helping and evolving them.

Can also use a distraction technique - when an alpha is about to strut themselves over or has already made a long enough claim via "I came, I saw, I conquered" method, get a toy that you know they like and distract them with it, away from the location. Can simply explain how you like to show how healthy, active and playful they are.

Or who knows, maybe walk over, pick it up and fib with a "Oh, I think this one has to go do some poopies!" Or "This one just loooves soap operas, I can't have him miss his stories - Got to go! And while we are at it, check out that tabby over there in the corner, so precious!" :lol:

Good luck!

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds very familiar! Our shelter tries to avoid the situation you describe by having a volunteer or staff member accompany potential adopters. Somebody familiar with the cats should be there to answer questions about them as well as the adoption procedure and to sound out the people to get an idea of which cats would suit them best. Basically, you pick up and hold the dominant cat so that the others have a chance to be noticed, too, and encourage the people to interact with the less demanding cats by handing them a wand toy and favorite treats. In other words, you're "guiding" the visitors to act in a certain manner, not the cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dinosnores

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
These are some great suggestions, thanks! I'm just a volunteer so I don't have much sway as far as changing shelter protocol but I can talk to the senior staff about it and see what they think.