CKD cat with hypercalcemia

kitkat852

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Looking for solutions for hypercalcemia. I would like to know if
  1. a change of diet to a lower level of calcium would help (switching from Royal Canin Renal E to Purina N/F advanced which is lower in calcium and doesn't have FOS listed.) Or switching to a non-CKD food such as Hills w/d?
  2. change in fluids from LR to Normasol?
Current issues, hematuria (kidney stones), constipation despite use of Restoralax, high b.p. (takes Amlodipine and Benazepril)
Diagnosed 2016, syringe-fed since 2016. Aug22.jpg
Age 16, female dsh.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that you should discuss this with your Vet , particular since you are dealing with multiple health issues.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kitkat852

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
What does your vet recommend?

There's some info here about CKD and hypercalcemia: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Treating Phosphorus and Calcium Imbalances, Including Secondary Hyperparathyroidism You can read through it and discuss with the vet.

Are you dissolving the Restoralax in some water before mixing it into canned food or moist treat? Vets oftentimes don't know that part of how to use the product.
I don't know what my vet recommends. I contacted her 2 days ago, she has yet to respond. :(

I've read Tanya's site. I'm still confused as to what to do, if diet is enough, and what diet to use.

I add a teaspoon water to Restoralax, B complex and b12 in a dish, then add the wet food, then add more water until I get a syringe-able consistency.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Follow up with the vet and ask for what she recommends for treatment. If you don't get a response within a day, call again and be firm but polite about how the vet is not responding to your calls and you need more information on how to proceed with your cat's condition.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
As far as the Restoralax, how much of that are you dissolving in that mix, and how often are you giving it? For my kidney cats, I gave 1/4 teaspoon of it twice per day, every day, to get good results. And my last kidney cat only weighed 6 pounds by the time she needed it.
Also, is your cat eating all of the food you are mixing it with? I found I needed to mix it into just a little bit of food to make sure she got it all, then would give her more food since she didn't always finish her meal.

Lactated Ringers do have calcium in them, so you would need a prescription for something else anyway, unless you are in a country where that isn't needed, so I'm guessing you HAVE to get in contact with your Vet. Even the food you are talking about is prescription, isn't it? How did you get the blood results to find out about this issue? Did they just fax them to you with no comments or something? I know Vets are extremely busy right now, but still...

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I did find this thread that might be helpful: Help finding calcium amounts in different foods It refers you to another thread which I think is also helpful, but it does talk about homemade food with lower calcium. Don't be completely thrown off by that since it also contains other helpful info.

kitkat852

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
As far as the Restoralax, how much of that are you dissolving in that mix, and how often are you giving it?

1/4 tsp 2x day.

Also, is your cat eating all of the food you are mixing it with?

She is syringe fed.

Lactated Ringers do have calcium in them, so you would need a prescription for something else anyway, unless you are in a country where that isn't needed, so I'm guessing you HAVE to get in contact with your Vet. Even the food you are talking about is prescription, isn't it? How did you get the blood results to find out about this issue? Did they just fax them to you with no comments or something? I know Vets are extremely busy right now, but still...
In Canada, I can buy fluids OTC, same with prescription food. I was called with the results, then emailed. I didn't have normal values sitting by the phone when I took the call, so I didn't notice the calcium was (still) high since the previous reading in April. I think due to her age, 16, and disease, and my lack of money for tests, vets are reluctant to treat.

mrsgreenjeens

Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
OK, so she is definitely getting as much Restoralax is "allowed", so that isn't the problem. And you are giving sub-q fluids as well, so she should be well hydrated. :sigh: Maybe try giving her Laxatone as well. It's OTC and is billed to help with hairballs, but I've needed to use it on occasion with one of my cats along with Miralax. It's an oily gel that helps things move along down the tubes :wink:. You probably can't syringe it though.

Did your Vet advise the Renal E due to the stones or because of the CKD? Since the hypercalcemia isn't new (at least it doesn't sound like it from your last post), when it was initially discovered, did your Vet say anything at that time? Maybe they didn't think the values were high enough to be too concerned? I honestly don't know, but not sure I would think of switching to the Hills w/d simply because I believe it's meant for weight loss and not sure you want that in a kidney cat.

kitkat852

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Finally heard back from the vet. Switch to Normosol. I checked the price of Normosol - $38/bag. So, I don't think that's happening. 🥺
I'm going to switch food, Purina N/F. She's been on Renal E for 6 years. Vet didn't seem concerned about the high calcium.