City Ordinance on number of pets?

goblin

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
In my County, Mohave County in Arizona, I can have as many cats (or animals) as I want. This is a rural county and there are very few laws, (very few people also).

This works, sometimes I would like the laws to be changed but then, I find that many times I can use the laws to work for me. In my County, if you feed an animal for seven days it is legal considered yours. I used this law, when I rescued 12 cats from a 10 by 12 fifth wheel in a trailer park. Now the cats are legally mine.

Animal Control, where I live, offers certificates to low income people to spay or nueter their pet. I have already gotten my two, but I can ask people at work to get some for me. I currently need 6 female cat spays and 4 male nueters. I talked with animal control and asked them for the certificates they said that I already had mine. Then I told them that I would be asking people from work to get me some. They said that the certificates would be in their name. Then I remined them of the seven day law. The woman I spoke to had to agree that I was following the law.

Sometimes you can use the laws to work for you.

Goblin

himmymommy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am in ohio ...and our area has no laws on cats...as a matter of fact the shelter will not take cats from our area...needless to say we have tons of cats here and many feral colonies...
people feed them but they do not get proper vet care...

Lorien

blondiecat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Where I live here in Thomas Co GA the people at the shelter told me that you can have 3 dogs inside the city limits and unlimited outside the city limits. I live outside the city limits so I am well within the ordinance of this town. There was no mention of cats, but I am sure that an unspoken limit is there. I will have to check this out more.

Would I be tempted to go the limit? In a word......yes! However I would rather give quality care to a few than poor care to a quanity of animals. I know what I can afford to take care of so with my 3 dogs and 2 cats I give all of the love I can.

9katz1poodle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally posted by vettechstudent
We don't have any laws here on the number of animals a person can have.

I have 11 cats in here(plus my 3 orphaned kittens)and I don't see what it is anyone's business how many cats I have in MY home,as long as they are well taken care of and my house is not reeking of cat waste.
ditto here !

They did vote on a "limit" a few mos. ago but it lost !
I dont live in the city limits anyway.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Ohio has a poor record when it comes to cats. Most localities do NOT handle them at all which is in my opinion an abrogation of their responsibility.
Mark...I'm surprized you say this...in Virginia I know of at least 2 (and I'm sure there are more)counties that only accept dogs and do NOTHING for cats. It's a shame really...puts alot more of the burden on cat rescues and TNR groups...since there are no cat facilities, if you do not want to rehome your cat...you simply "dump it".

Katie