Cisapride Tablets

missmindy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a long thread going already, but I have a specific question related to cisapride. My cat HATES this medicine. We have the oral suspension in chicken flavor. It's available in capsules, but we are concerned they may not go down well due to their size. I see there is an online pharmacy, Wedgewood, that compounds this med into "tiny tabs." Has anyone ever used that? Thanks!

Yodasmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have the capsule version. I empty the capsule and mix in with the lactulose that Yoda also takes, and deliver it using a mouth syringe. Its the best method I have found so far. My cat won't take pills. 1-800 Pet Meds has a liquid version that you can get in tuna flavor. I've been thinking about trying that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missmindy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I hadn't thought about mixing it into anything if we switched to capsules. I wonder if a different flavor would work with my cat too. She gets down right aggressive when it's medicine time-which is 3xs a day right now. I asked my vet to look into the "tiny tabs" I read about too. I'm not sure if we would be successful with pills or not.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If it's a capsule, you can pull the capsule apart and sprinkle the medicine directly into canned food and mix it up, adding toppers if needed. But check the prescription label first. If the medicine has to be given on an empty stomach, this will not work.

Capsules and pills / tablets can be hidden inside of a Pill Pocket or other pill dough. If the medicine has to be given on an empty stomach, ask the vet if it's ok to use pill dough first. Both flavors of Pill Pockets are made with chicken so if your cat is known to have a chicken sensitivity, don't use it. I use a bacon-flavored pill dough.

Wedgewood Pharmacy can compound most any medicine. Cisparide is available in a variety of different options: Cisapride Medication & Information for Animals, Wedgewood Pet RX, Wedgewood Pet RX The chew treats work well and can be flavored.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missmindy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! My vet got her a script through wedgewood for their tiny tabs. I'm not sure she would eat enough wet food to get all of it in to her. I hadn't seen the bacon flavor dough before and am going to add that to my arsenal.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A spoonful of canned food is plenty but if your cat tends to just pick at food all day, it's not the best way to give the medicine. Amazon sells the Earths' Balance bacon flavored pill paste as well as several other brands. Tip: Don't bother with the Vetoquinol Pill Wrap. It's the exact same product as Tomlyn Pill Masker (same company) and costs nearly twice as much:nono:. Don't bother with the Flavor-Doh brand either. It's too dry and crumbly. Pill Pockets can be found at most pet stores and online.