Cisapride -- increase saliva production

grover

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone experienced hyper secreation in a cat when giving cisapride suspension? The compounding pharmacist says it is in almond oil and fish flavored because it is so bitter. Even a tiny bit in the mouth and the cat drools profusely and foams around the mouth. She gets over it.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I don't have any experience with cisapride, but bitter meds will definitely made a cat drool and foam at the mouth.  I'm hoping she gets enough in her to make it worth while

Some people get bitter drugs in pill form and put them inside empty gel caps so the cats can't taste them at all.  Don't know if you can get cisapride that way or not, but it might be worth asking, just in case, since the compounded formula is obviously still very bitter. 

varmint

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
our "Mo has megacolon and occasionally needs a dose of cisapride to help with bowel motility.i just tasted Mo's cisapride and it isnt the least bit bitter.actually it has a sweetish taste.we bought ours from the vet.maybe the compounding pharmacy mixes differently.idk.Mo's bottle is labeled 4oz.CISAPRIDE # 1.idk if the #1 marking is a different flavor additive or what it could possibly stand for.maybe check with your vet and see.as expensive as the stuff is, the taste should be heavenly.again mo's isnt bitter.i wouldnt lie to you and your frothing kitty.poor cat.goodnight, hope i may have helped.