Cisapride causes hunger

Lana Fay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 16 year old tuxedo, Charley, has megacolon. He also has diabetes and asthma, so it's been difficult to manage his health. But in regards to megacolon, he has been doing well lately with a combination of Cisapride and Miralax. I do have to adjust the doses from time to time. I have read about other cats here who have been on Cisapride so I felt it important to mention that Cisapride really increased my cats hunger. Since hes been on Cisapride, at times he will eat normally, but at others he will meow incessantly for food and when I bring the bag of food out he will go bonkers with meowing and purring - like he's been starved for a week! Just a heads up for anyone who may be wondering why their megacolon cat seems hungry all the time. Cisapride will cause it!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lana Fay

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are very welcome! I hope it will be of help to some kitties.

heatherbrocks

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 16 year old tuxedo, Charley, has megacolon. He also has diabetes and asthma, so it's been difficult to manage his health. But in regards to megacolon, he has been doing well lately with a combination of Cisapride and Miralax. I do have to adjust the doses from time to time. I have read about other cats here who have been on Cisapride so I felt it important to mention that Cisapride really increased my cats hunger. Since hes been on Cisapride, at times he will eat normally, but at others he will meow incessantly for food and when I bring the bag of food out he will go bonkers with meowing and purring - like he's been starved for a week! Just a heads up for anyone who may be wondering why their megacolon cat seems hungry all the time. Cisapride will cause it!
Twins! My cat Highway has the EXACT same challenges as Charley! We too are doing Cisapride and Miralax, and going to a raw diet resolved his diabetes thankfully but he is once again vomiting/constipated frequently and trying to figure out foods that account for all his conditions is exhaustive! Poor babies...Maybe we can share some of our knowledge/experiences with each other?
I was wondering what you have tried and/or is working for you? In the past we had him on W/D until he developed diabetes and I learned more about food, Young Again pork worked for a while but raw and rotating novel proteins seemed to be the answer until recently....