Cigarette smoke sensitivity?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by butzie

My late Father had a laryngectomy when I was 11 because he smoked. He died 3 years later. I have never smoked and never will.
I grew up watching what it did to my grandmother.

It's interesting that so many that haven't smoked but have this sensitivity do have a history of breathing a lot of it in at some point in their lives. That pretty much backs up everything I've read.

I suppose I'll have to get my father aside and talk with him. While it's possible we could meet somewhere else a big issue is my step-sister's three young children. The eldest could be called unruly at best... Her toddler always tries to touch/push/scratch my tv. They all squeal at the cats.
Any public place, like a restaurant wouldn't want them - she teaches them it's ok to talk back and act out.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
-sorry didn't read the responses-

My parents didn't smoke but I've had asthma since I was two, and I have zero tolerance for anybody smoking in my home. My MIL used to smoke and after our daughter was born she lit up in the guest bedroom (she said she was blowing the smoke out the window, but duh, the lit cigarette was burning away in the bedroom).

Anyway, I got MAD. Husband spoke with her and she was pretty defensive, but she cooperated after that.

Zoom forward four months, MIL has a heart attack and quit smoking that day. Zoom forward a year and she apologizes to me for smoking in our home that time. Eleven years later MIL and I are still very good friends.

You've got to make them go outside to smoke. Both of husband's parents smoked TWO PACKS a day each while his mom was pregnant with him and all of his childhood. Sometimes, I worry what it may have done to him.

If you are at their house, well... personally I wouldn't go but I'm really hard-nosed about second-hand smoke.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just to make it clear - absolutely no one is allowed to smoke in my home. Anyone attempting it would be physically thrown out.
Nor do I allow air fresheners, scented candles, or other things containing strong perfumes - I'll even let people know if they have way too much perfume on in my home (generally because DH will be choking and using his inhaler).
DH has asthma and I'm extremely sensitive to all of these as well. I can't even handle strongly scented soaps or detergents.

My mother smoked while pregnant with me, too... I had a lot of ear infections and episodes of bronchitis as a child.

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
I have the same problem. Whereas I usually don't get nauseous, I do get a bad, long-lasting headache. I spent decades living with Mom, a heavy smoker. I left 6 years ago, and find that I now have a reaction to the smoke. I won't let anyone smoke in my house or car. I LOATHE that smell! I have second-hand furniture that I swear I can still smell the smoke years later. MIL gave me a piano she refinished many, many years ago--maybe 20+--and the couple she bought it from were heavy smokers. Even though the wood has been stripped, and re-stained and re-varnished, I can STILL get a whiff of the smoke smell!

When I go to the mailbox, I can even smell my neighbors smoking INSIDE of their house--and with the windows closed (if the wind blows the right way).

A few years ago, I finally moved all of my stuff from Mom's. I had clothing in sealed Rubbermaid storage boxes in her attic. I had to trash nearly all of it, as it reeked of smoke ( and she never smoked in the attic!).

When I was house-hunting, I smelled some rank places. Even if I loved the house itself, that smell would make it a no-sale for me. It's nearly impossible to erase--as we found out with Mom's place (it also had the yellow film you mentioned). It was disgusting.

I hope I don't offend any smokers here--I do believe people have the right to smoke (though I can't understand why anyone would want to--even if just for health reasons). However, please be courteous while doing it, as most people are in my experience. Most of us would try not to belch or break wind close to someone, so there's no excuse with smoking--especially went you know the person has asthma! How inconsiderate!

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Just to make it clear - absolutely no one is allowed to smoke in my home. Anyone attempting it would be physically thrown out.
Nor do I allow air fresheners, scented candles, or other things containing strong perfumes - I'll even let people know if they have way too much perfume on in my home (generally because DH will be choking and using his inhaler).
DH has asthma and I'm extremely sensitive to all of these as well. I can't even handle strongly scented soaps or detergents.
Ah, good, yeah I understand, I'm the same way.

I spent a Christmas with my in-laws and brother-in-law and his wife, and I had a head cold and I thought I was going to die with all of their smoke. It was a nightmare.

Is not going an option?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MargeCat

When I go to the mailbox, I can even smell my neighbors smoking INSIDE of their house--and with the windows closed (if the wind blows the right way).
My nose is so sensitive that I can tell when neighbors are doing laundry, cooking and often what they're cooking, and yes - if anyone is out smoking and what they're smoking...
My dad's wife's home was so bad that you could smell it from the street - sometimes further away than that.

We currently have a small leak in the shut off valve on our chimney. The gas sniffer (used for finding leaks) couldn't detect anything earlier after my FIL did what he could to fix it - but I can still smell the gas additives - DH smells nothing, of course. (btw, it's not dangerous. There's drafts near the chimney that diffuse it)

I've had my mom send me things that I just keep put up - I can't handle them because, even years later, they stink and can induce a headache.

I'm not sure if I can sit out this Christmas... that's kind of rough to tell people.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am very sensitive to cigarette smoke. I quit smoking almost 20 years ago and my sense of smell for cigarette smoke is so acute that I can smell someone light up a cigarette across the street from where I'm standing!

Someone moved onto the floor I live on last month. They're heavy smokers and the hallways reeks of smoke! I'm sitting here coughing from just having walked down the hall from the elevators.

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am extremely sensitive to cigarette smoke as well. I use to smoke, but never in my home, and when I did quit my severe psoriasis cleared up within 6 months as well as my migraines decreased greatly! I can't stand being around heavy smokers and am so grateful for the smoking laws here in NYC.