Chylothorax and rutin question

lilblu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm asking this for a relative who will be going on vacation soon. Her cat is about 10 y/o and has idiopathic chylothorax and gets 250 mg of Rutin three times per day. She's concerned about what would happen if he missed 1-3 doses in a row. Does anyone know if that would be a problem? She'd prefer to hear from personal experiences, if possible.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think anyone here is going to recommend missing doses of meds. That is a question for the vet.

My cat Spot died from Chylousperitoneum. It is a nasty thing.

But please, ask the vet. You don't want to fool around with this.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree that the one to ask is the attending vet, but in general I would not think that it would be okay. the relative should either board the kitty in a place that can medicate him as he should be, or hire a pet sitter to come in three times day to give the meds.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Your vet has given you the information and suggested treatment based on your cat’s signs, symptoms and history. Not following the vet’s advice could be detrimental to your cat’s health. Please discuss any potential changes in treatment with your vet first. This can usually be done over a phone call if the cat has already been seen about the same problem. If you are not happy with your vet’s advice, or suggested treatment, get a second veterinary opinion, do not only take advice you have received online from people who do not have your cat’s full medical history.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilblu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Umm... It's been my experience that vets don't always know what they're talking about. I've gotten better, more accurate advice from other cat owners then from any of the many vets I've ever taken my cats to. Which is why we asked the question here. We thought maybe someone might have an experience with missing a dose.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by lilblu

Umm... It's been my experience that vets don't always know what they're talking about. I've gotten better, more accurate advice from other cat owners then from any of the many vets I've ever taken my cats to. Which is why we asked the question here. We thought maybe someone might have an experience with missing a dose.
While Experience has it s place ... remember vets have been schooled for 6-8 years plus a internship ... IE they ARE TRAINED in medicine unlike all on here... the only place that may have basic info for you that IMHO I would trust would be the veterinary pdr or the Merck manual

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
On issues such as behavior, care and grooming I rely on experience here on the forum. I look for support on medical issues. If I receive suggestions on illness, I run this past my vet.

My cats depend on me to give them the most informed, educated and modern treatments. This I get from my vet. If you are not happy with yours, maybe you should start looking for another one. Perhaps a cat only practice.

I don't think you will find more educated vets in any other country in the world than here in the United States.

jessy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, this is a hard post to see, about chylothorax.
Please don't let your friend leave her cat alone while she's got chylothorax. She must have a pet sitter or be boarded. While my cat Villy had chylothorax I didn't even want to go to work or go out as I didn't want to leave her.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I am sorry you feel this way.

It is obvious to me that the attending vet in this case does know what s/he is talking about as s/he has diagnosed this cat with a potentially fatal illness and put him on a medication that can control the illness. No medication should ever be stopped without discussing it with the attending vet.

Meaning no disrespect but it does sound like you are looking for validation for a decision that has already been made. I highly doubt anyone here, or anywhere, is going to tell you it is okay to discontinue a medication for a cat with such a serious illness.

In addition, a cat with idiopathic chylothorax really should not be left alone at all for any extended length of time.The cat should be boarded at a 24 hour vet hospital, or at the very least, have a skilled pet sitter come in three times a day.

I know that personally I would get no enjoyment out of a vacation, if I knew I had a seriously ill cat at home who was not getting his medication, and being taken care of.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lilblu

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Holy crap! I don't mean to be rude but some of you are blowing things totally out of proportion. You're making assumptions without having all the facts. I shouldn't have to defend what I said but I guess I'm gonna have to.

Grandma and I wanted opinions and experiences from people who are experienced with Chylothorax. It was never meant to replace veterinary care. Yet, you all seem to think it was, I never gave any indication it was. We can ask the vet's opinion and also get opinions from cat owners, there's nothing wrong with that. Is there?

Secondly, I have seen numerous (at least five) veterinarians over the years and they ALL seem to have the same knowledge which is very little. In many cases, I have been right while the veterinarians have been wrong. They have eight years of college which includes veterinary school and all I have is a high school education. Based on my experience I never completely trust what they say, which is why I always do research and get other people's opinions and experiences. In fact, you should never completely trust what any doctor (animal or people) tell you. They're not always right. That's why there's a thing called malpractice.

Thirdly, I never said the cat was going to be left alone while grandma went on vacation. Yet, you all somehow assumed he was. There's a small possibility that he may miss 1-3 doses, so we wanted to find out what could happen if he does just so everyone can be prepared.

Some of you really need to read people's posts word for word rather than just skimming through it. You also need to stop making assumptions. I'm honestly not trying to be rude but I don't appreciate the way some of you responded and the way I was treated.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We are a WELFARE site ... your post sounded like you were asking for VET advise ONLINE which is NOT appropriate... IMHO your question is a VET should answer question as they are trained on this illness and drug . IE would know if missing a dose is a minor or major issue ( it will be an issue ) ... You have been given opinions by folks who have dealt with this issue and gotten a TALK to the VET for an answer ...

The advice given here cannot take into account your cat’s previous history, and nobody here can give your cat a physical exam to check for any abnormalities. Please feel free to get opinions here, but take your cat to the vet, and discuss any possible solutions with your vet to get their expert, medical opinion first.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Holy crap! I don't mean to be rude but some of you are blowing things totally out of proportion. You're making assumptions without having all the facts. I shouldn't have to defend what I said but I guess I'm gonna have to.

Grandma and I wanted opinions and experiences from people who are experienced with Chylothorax. It was never meant to replace veterinary care. Yet, you all seem to think it was, I never gave any indication it was. We can ask the vet's opinion and also get opinions from cat owners, there's nothing wrong with that. Is there?

Secondly, I have seen numerous (at least five) veterinarians over the years and they ALL seem to have the same knowledge which is very little. In many cases, I have been right while the veterinarians have been wrong. They have eight years of college which includes veterinary school and all I have is a high school education. Based on my experience I never completely trust what they say, which is why I always do research and get other people's opinions and experiences. In fact, you should never completely trust what any doctor (animal or people) tell you. They're not always right. That's why there's a thing called malpractice.

Thirdly, I never said the cat was going to be left alone while grandma went on vacation. Yet, you all somehow assumed he was. There's a small possibility that he may miss 1-3 doses, so we wanted to find out what could happen if he does just so everyone can be prepared.

Some of you really need to read people's posts word for word rather than just skimming through it. You also need to stop making assumptions. I'm honestly not trying to be rude but I don't appreciate the way some of you responded and the way I was treated.
You did get opinions. Many. Most of us, including a poster who has had personal experience with this illness, are of the opinion that you should talk to the attending vet.

I am sorry you did not get the opinions you were hoping for, but it happens that way sometimes.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please read rule 1 of our rules below....

1. No online advice can replace direct veterinary intervention. If you suspect that your cat may be ill, please contact your vet immediately. You are welcome to look for advice in the health forum while waiting for that appointment, but never delay proper veterinary care waiting for Internet advice. Remember that cats, and especially kittens, are very adept in keeping pain to themselves and delaying treatment may cause irreversible damage.

I'm sorry you've had bad experiences with vets in the past, but everyone has offered good, sound advice, and bottomline is no one here has certificates in veterinary medicine, so again, a vet is the one that you need to speak to.