Chung vs. Condit

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gary Condit Denies Wrongdoing
The Associated Press
Aug 24 2001 8:49AM

CERES, Calif. (AP) - Capping a publicity blitz that ended months of public silence, Rep. Gary Condit denied involvement in Chandra Levy's disappearance and sidestepped questions about whether they had an affair. The Levy family lawyer said Friday her parents were angry and believe ``he's hiding something.''
Condit's comments also got an icy reception from many constituents, though some rallied behind him.

In his first broadcast interview since the intern disappeared, Condit, 53, fielded a series of blunt questions Thursday from ABC's Connie Chung, who repeatedly asked him if he had a sexual affair with the missing 24-year-old intern. He said only that they had a ``very close'' relationship and said ``people are entitled to some privacy.''

He offered no apologies for his involvement with Levy or his level of cooperation with police.

``I've answered every question truthfully. That's what you're supposed to do when you're cooperating with the police,'' Condit said.

Condit said he met Levy in October and they spoke several times a week by telephone. He said he wasn't in love with Levy, but liked her very much.

The seven-term Democratic congressman disputed several points that have been made by Levy's relatives since she was last seen April 30. Most significantly, he denied lying to Levy's mother about the nature of his relationship with her daughter, a constituent of his from Modesto who came to Washington for an internship with the U.S. Bureau of Prisons.

Condit's account was immediately challenged by both Washington, D.C., police and the intern's family.

``Mrs. Levy was outraged,'' said Billy Martin, lawyer for the parents, Dr. Robert and Susan Levy. ``She's very clear that she told Gary Condit, she asked Gary Condit, `Were you, Congressman, having an affair with my daughter?' and the congressman said no. That is not a mistake. That is an outright lie.''

``He's hiding something,'' Martin said on NBC's ``Today'' show. ``Why he's hiding something I don't know. But we continue to believe he has a lot of information he can offer on Chandra's disappearance and we'll continue to investigate.''

Terrance W. Gainer, Washington's deputy police chief, disputed Condit's assertion of complete cooperation with investigators. ``It took us three interviews and a lot of effort to get as far as we got,'' he said.

The ABC interview was part of a campaign, including a letter to constituents and other interviews, that Condit's advisers hoped would bolster his flagging popularity.

The move fell flat, said Bruce Cain, a University of California, Berkeley, political scientist, who thinks Condit was ``horrible'' in the interview. ``I just got irritated watching the thing. I thought he came across as incredible, insensitive, evasive, uncooperative.''

In Condit's district, Merced bar owner Mike Maloney watched Condit on TV with his patrons. He called Condit ``overprepared and a bit too slick.''

Wendy Crabb, 29, an executive assistant from Modesto who has voted for Condit, said she was ``embarrassed and appalled by his lack of admittance and his shying away from the questions.''

Another former supporter, John Mensonides, said, ``I was hoping to see some humility and some candor and instead we saw evasiveness and arrogance.''

Not all reaction was negative. About 60 supporters held a rally in Merced, 40 miles south of Ceres.

``I thought he cleared up some misinformation, I thought he was honest,'' said Sandra Lucas, Democratic chairwoman in Stanislaus County, which is in his district. She said she thought Chung ``pressed the affair thing to the point of boredom.''

In the interview, Chung began with a series of blunt questions about Levy's disappearance. Condit denied he had anything to do with it, knew anyone who wanted to harm her, or had caused anyone to harm her.

``Did you kill Chandra Levy?'' Chung asked.

``I did not,'' he said.

Condit, who sat almost knee-to-knee across from Chung, kept his composure throughout the sometimes-contentious half-hour interview. His wife and two grown children watched from a monitor in a nearby room.

Asked repeatedly, Condit would not say whether he had sexual relations with Levy.

``I've been married 34 years. I have not been a perfect man. I have made mistakes in my life,'' he said. ``But out of respect for my family, out of a specific request by the Levy family, it is best that I not get into the details of the relationship.''

Condit criticized flight attendant Anne Marie Smith, who has publicly asserted she had an affair him, saying Smith had ``taken advantage of this tragedy. She didn't know Chandra Levy. So she gets to have her moment of publicity, of financial gain. And I'm puzzled by that.''

Condit spent the week trying to tell his story, first conducting an interview with People magazine Tuesday at a home in Beverly Hills. He also talked to KOVR-TV of Sacramento and did other print interviews.

In the People interview, he offered to sit down alone with the Levys ``to talk about anything they want to talk about.''

In an interview with the Merced Sun-Star conducted after the ABC taping, Condit said it might have been a mistake not to have spoken out earlier.

``In hindsight, maybe I should've,'' he said. ``Maybe people wouldn't have been so critical of me. But I did everything that I thought I was supposed to do as an American citizen.''

Condit said the media scrutiny became so intense earlier this summer when he submitted DNA samples to authorities that he ``snuck off somewhere and met a police officer in a parking lot late at night'' to give him the tissue.

He told KOVR he would announce within the next few months whether he'll run again in 2002.

Karen Johnson, a 43-year-old Modesto business owner, was bothered that Condit didn't discuss the details of the relationship with Levy, saying he was ``evasive in his answers, and my perception is that his bigger interest is in protecting his own interests. I'm disappointed.'' Johnson said she would not vote for Condit again.

Condit is certain to be pressed further about his involvement with Levy, but supporters believe he has told enough.

``I don't have a need to know what Gary did with Chandra Levy. We're not voyeurs; we don't need to know,'' said Lucille Mejia, who attended the pro-Condit rally.

hissy

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
What was the "BIG" news Chandra wanted to share with her aunt ? (And never got to?)

Why did Mrs. Condit travel to Washington D.C. for the first time in her married life the week of Chandra's dissappearance?

And why is the congressman still so evasive? What is he trying so hard to hide from?

buttercup429

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think she got pregnant(that's the "BIG" news she wanted to tell her mom) and Condit told her to do something about it and that he didn't want anything to do with it and that he didn't love her and she went and jumped off a bridge somewhere or something and they haven't found her body yet. If she jumped off a bridge she was probably fish food a long time ago and no one will find her body. Or maybe she told him she was pregnant and he had her killed. But I really think she committed suicide.

threeleggedkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Chung interview made about as much sense as any interview I ever saw with the Ramseys after Jean-Bennet's murder; to this day. We won't get any straight answers from the Ramsey's because "money never talks" and we won't get any civil or true answers from Condit because he is (first and foremost) a politician up for re-election. Whether Chendra was pregnant and commited suicide or she was murdered to shut her up, or murdered by a serial killer; the sad truth is a beautiful, intelligent young woman is dead. I don't think we will ever know for sure if Condit had anything to do with it. Politicians are schooled daily by their staffs of "spin doctors" on how to DANCE around this type of exposure. I do feel that Chendra was old enough and smart enough to know the consequences and she still chose to become involved with a married politician. Her case just had a much more tragic ending than Monica L's. (does anyone really pay hundreds of dollars for those "ugly" purses of hers! Talk about victims. . . .If purses made by Fat/Ugly broads are selling; then pass me the foot pedal 'cause this (old) fat/ugly broad needs extra income!!!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swalker

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
First of all, I think his answer "I've been married for 34 years, I am not a perfect man... blah blah blah, was a little rehearsed. He said it all three times without skipping a word.

Connie started to really piss me off half way through the interview. ENOUGH ALL READY. If she didn't get that he wasn't going to answer the questions than you best move on.

I really don't understand why in the world he wanted to go on National TV to clear his name when he refused to answer any of the questions.

My favorite part... was when Condit said it was his personal life and he will not pick through it for the media. However, Connie asked him about Clinton and how Condit was one of many who insisted the Starr report be published to the public. His words... Clinton's private life must be public to get to any real truth. What in the hell is that all about? He says his situation is different. Bull crap.

airprincess

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Condit TV interview a disaster, media critics say
Reuters
Aug 24 2001 10:20PM

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - If Congressman Gary Condit had hopes of reviving his political career with a TV interview, the nation's critics say he should forget about it. If the man were a Broadway show, he would have closed on opening night.
A day after an estimated 23.6 million people watched, no one seemed to have anything nice to say about the embattled California Democrat's efforts to explain his relationship with missing intern Chandra Levy in a half-hour interview with ABC's Connie Chung Thursday.

The most potentially damaging criticism came from House Democratic leader Richard Gephardt, who called his comments "disturbing and wrong" and said they added to the perception that "politicians are a bunch of bums." Gephardt said he would ask his colleagues what action should be taken against Condit.

The congressman's hometown paper, the Modesto Bee, said he should resign. "After months of watching him stall and stonewall, Condit's weasel-like performance on Thursday was terribly disappointing. He had an opportunity to come clean, but instead rolled through the dirt of duplicity some more."

But Condit's lawyer, Abbe Lowell, said the lawmaker was not a "sappy guy" and was therefore being misjudged.

"He doesn't wear his emotions on the sleeve," Lowell said on CNN's "Larry King Live" program. "People interpret that sometimes in America as somebody who doesn't feel, who doesn't care, who doesn't hurt. That's wrong."

In the interview, Condit said he had a very "close" relationship with the 24-year-old who disappeared in April, but refused to say if they had an affair. He also refused to say why he did not tell police about his relationship earlier.

Salon magazine's Bill Wyman said: "We saw a craggy, prematurely aged boy-man, distracted and wide-eyed, attempting to craft Clinton-like lies with a patina of principle."

Politicians often try to use television as a direct way to revive embattled careers as Richard Nixon did in 1952 when questions arose about his campaign contributions. His "Checkers" speech saved his career and helped make him Dwight Eisenhower's vice president.

'FAILED MISERABLY'

But as a damage control effort, Condit's performance "failed miserably," said Robert Thompson, the director of the Center for the Study of Popular Television at Syracuse University.

Thompson said he hadn't seen a television performance go so badly in years. "It seems absolutely flabbergasting that we saw the performance that we did," Thompson said.

Howard Rosenberg, the Los Angeles Times television critic, said Condit "looked as cold and pasty as an apparition."

ABC said that the interview on "Prime Time Thursday" was the most widely watched news program in two years.

An estimated 23.6 million households tuned in, the highest number since 48.5 million people watched Barbara Walters' March 1999 interview on ABC's "20/20" with Monica Lewinsky about her relationship with then President Bill Clinton.

A common theme among all reviews was that an evasive Condit did not provide any real answers.

The Baltimore Sun's David Folkenflik wrote, "Millions of Americans tuned in to ABC-TV last night to watch an interview with a beleaguered American politician. Instead, they witnessed a clinic in tap dancing."

Condit's performance isn't the first time a politician has gone on TV to save his image and ended up damaging it instead. Perhaps the most famous example is the first televised presidential debate in 1960 where Nixon refused makeup and looked ashen and ill next to John F. Kennedy. Another example was Sen. Ted Kennedy's interview with Roger Mudd in 1978, in which Kennedy was unable to answer Mudd's question as to why he wanted to be president.

Washington Post television critic Tom Shales said, "Only rabid media-haters could have found him sympathetic after watching his carefully controlled, limited, bionic performance with Chung.... Condit was not paid for the interview, but if he had been, Chung should have demanded her money back right there on the air."

threeleggedkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have to agree with these press releases; he came across as a "self-serving" double talker.
In other words, a Politician who thinks sidestepping a question is not the same thing as lieing. . . . .
In my opinion; he looks even guiltier.
:dali: My heart goes out to the Levy family. Condit has now added insult to injury by dening his previous conversations with Chendra's mother. I am proud that my state is represented by Richard Gephardt; who said publicly that he feels Condit should not seek re-election and even that he should resign immediatey.