Chumley goes in for his dental Tuesday

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
No, Chum was sedated - under anesthesia today. The teeth were not extracted while he was awake or aware, and he did not feel pain during this procedure today. This was a regular dental. He has been given a pain killer that lasts 72 hours (rimadal), and if he needs another shot, he'll get it (but hopefully he won't need it).

No, I am KICKING MYSELF because he had his first dental after being rescued last year. THAT was a "non-anesthetic dental." This was supposedly a great alternative to the stress on his system (FIV+) from being put under anesthesia. Non-anesthetic dentals are for a check-up and cleaning. If further work needs to be done, as determined by the check-up, then a regular dental would need to be scheduled.

But I am kicking myself because his holistic vet recommended the non-anesthetic dental. I was aware of the risks - the MAIN complaint is that they do not find problems located up under the gum. She assured me that was not the case.

And she was WRONG.

Today's REGULAR dental found lesions on three teeth up under the gum - so bad the teeth needed to be pulled. His non-anesthetic dental was just 10 months ago. He has been in UN-NECESSARY PAIN for 10 MONTHS because we opted for the non-anesthetic dental last year, when I started this thread. :bawling:

Well, the complaints about non-anesthetic dentals are correct. They do not necessarily catch problems up under the gum. And poor Chum paid for this choice.

So I end this thread with a warning this year: do NOT opt for a non-anesthetic dental if your vet's practice offers them!

Last edited:

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh hun, he is now all fixed up and those disease teeth are no longer causing him pain...... :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:
:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes: For a quick recovery for Chum Chum now, I am sure he will be all better in no time :cross: :vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
AWWW sweetie... :hugs: I know you must feel bad, but how were you to know last year. It is alright :alright: GOSH - how many other cat's are there out there that get non-anesthetic dentals that are having problems like that too :dk: At least those teeth are GONE!!!! AND he will be feeling SO much better now. Chumley will be just fine, better than ever !!!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: Thank's to you bringing him in for that regular dental :D :nod: Rimadyl... yep - wilbur has had that from time to time. Very safe, the Rimadyl. Give both Spooky and Chumley a loving scritch from me :rub: :rub: :heart3: :vibes::vibes::vibes:

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, I don't know why I read this because I just knew my blood pressure would go through the roof!  I'm getting a ladder so I can get down.

Laurie - don't kick yourselves too hard - we all seem to be in a constant learning curve - but, because of others willing to share on this website we can learn from the experience they've had and be just a little ahead of the curve. So, thanks for posting the warning.  :)

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Laurie - don't kick yourselves too hard - we all seem to be in a constant learning curve - but, because of others willing to share on this website we can learn from the experience they've had and be just a little ahead of the curve. So, thanks for posting the warning.  :)
Exactly so! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Exactly so!  :alright:
The good news is that Chum is doing great today. :) He was so loopy and out of it last night, the poor boy didn't know what to do when we first came home. I carried him into the bedroom and lay down with him. I couldn't believe it - he curled up with me and went to sleep! I didn't give him dinner, but I did give him 1/2 a meal at the late night meal. He kept that down. And then he came back into the bedroom, and slept on my pillow the entire night. :heart3: He was good to go this morning. :D

:cross: there are no complications!