Chum and Laz are having dentals... Chum has FORL

nccarol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry Chum is having the same trouble with the sore lip I guess we learn as we go. I would not have known if it wasn't something my vet normally does. I checked Bitsy again today and all looks really good I think her stitches are finally dissolved. She was getting some food collecting in the stitches last week I flushed with water and syringe. Vet said not to worry it can't go up into gum or get anything infected. I looked at the top lip and it looks really good no sores. Hopefully the vets if asked can do what my vet did. Prevention would be better then putting them through more discomfort.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, the problem with Chum isn't his lower canine poking into his lip. It's poking into his gum. :(

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, the problem with Chum isn't his lower canine poking into his lip. It's poking into his gum.
Ohhhhhhh....hmm....ouch. I see now why your vet wouldn't expect that! I suppose if the gum shifted where the upper canine was, I could see how this might happen.  Poor Chum. 

nccarol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ouch poor baby I wonder how they could prevent that. Maybe filing down the other tooth. 

nccarol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am starting to notice yesterday and today that my girl is eating less of the wet food than she had been. It is almost a month now since her 12 extractions. Maybe cause they were all taken out on one side She doesn't really touch the dry and I have broken it up really small. She eats separate from the boys so I can make sure she is getting her food they will gobble it on her and the dog too will. She seems to like water in the food as well. Is this normal?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm not quite sure what you're asking?

She's eating less wet food, and no dry food?

If she'll eat the wet food with water added, that's great, actually! When my cats first started eating wet food, they only liked "gravy." But the gravies in canned foods aren't healthy for cats, being mostly wheat gluten. So I turned pate foods into gravy by adding warm water and mixing them.

If she's eating less, is she losing weight? Or is the amount she's eating just stabilizing?

nccarol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No dry which is fine but she seems to be eating less wet than she was originally after the surgery. I will have to keep an eye on her weight. She is almost completely blind so she tends to be skittish. She has not been finishing the small portion that I give her. She left the bowl just now with hardly any taken so I gave it to her again and she ate some more. She lets me know she is hungry even in the middle of the night which is rough cause she will wake me up. Maybe its normal just me being neurotic Thanks 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since smell is more important to her than other kitties, what about heating the food up a bit by mixing almost hot water into it? That will make it smell stronger, and may attract her to eat more.

And if she's skittish, what about sitting with her while she eats in a quiet place? I have a kitty with a kind of ADD about eating. She was so easily distracted, it was really difficult to get her to eat her food at a meal. I had to put her in the bathroom to eat by herself, and pop in there every minute or two to fuss with her dish, so she'd eat it all. I did insist she finish, once I'd established how much food she needed to eat to maintain her ideal weight. This helped with her waking me up at night or in the wee hours of the morning because she was hungry. :rolleyes:

I also used "toppers" on her food to get her to finish. I don't know what flavors your girl likes, but Flowerbelle LOVES freeze dried liver. I would crumble a little freeze dried chicken liver (it powders quite nicely!) onto her food when she thought she was done eating ( ;) ) to get her to eat more. Other stuff that works for many kitties is crushed up Bonito Flakes - easy to buy at most supermarkets. And some cats go nuts for freeze dried chicken.

:rub:

nccarol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I will try those things to add to her food and the warm water cause she does seem to need the smell to entice her. Thank you I feed her separate in my room  and have to check on her hopefully she will get adjusted and I'll try the other things you suggested