Chronic URI?

charlie05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got my kitten when he was six months old, and he is now about 10 months old. Right when I got him, I noticed he was having trouble breathing and he was sneezing blood. I took him to the vet and she said it was a herpes infection, and gave me a 10 day Rx for Clamavox. I also started him on 250 mg of lysene. The clamavox did not clear it up, so I took him to a second vet (one closer to home) and got doxycycline for 30 days. His sneezing stopped immediately, and he stopped sneezing blood. When he finished with the Rx, he would still have a speck or two of dried blood on his nose (but no sneezing blood) but he started sneezing green mucus again. So once again, the vet recommended putting him on a long dose of antibiotics- doxycycline for at least 30 days and until all symptoms stopped. He has now been on it for 1.5 months. He does not have green mucus, and still will have a speck or two of blood dried on his nose but no sneezing of blood. I am still giving him 250 mg per day of lysene.

I am concerned that as soon as I take him off the antibiotic he will get worse again. I am also concerned to take him off the antibiotic because of the specks of dried blood on his nose. He was tested for leukemia and FIV at the shelter, but should I ask to retest? Any other suggestions on what to do?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
ask for a herpes test ... Most cats are carriers of the virus and many have an active form
\\
what is he eating

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

I'm not sure how much help I can be, but I *think* a higher dose of Lysine might be needed for his age.
Hopefully someone else will be along soon who can advise on that.

How long have you had him on the lysine?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

charlie05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He is eating wellness kitten health. He also been on Lysine from the day I got him....so I guess about 4 months?

I should also say that both on and off the antibiotics, he is a very happy little guy. He is very playful, eats his food and drinks plenty of water, and is just incredibly sweet. So this is not a URI where I read about the kitten not feeling well...I almost think this is more me worrying about the symptoms I see rather than them affecting his quality of life.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
dry or wet or a combo?

Double Check with the Vet but most of the time 500-1000 mgs is regularly used of lysine

charlie05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Dry food only.

The vet had actually said 250 was fine, but from what I have read from posts on here, it might be a good idea to increase his dosage.

I greatly appreciate the quick replies

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
HI and welcome to TCS!

In my opinion your cat should be on 500 mg of l-lysine a day. Please mention it to your vet. A culture should be done of his mucuses, it takes a few days, because they grow bacteria from the sample and find out which antibiotics kill it. That is the best way to knock out the bacterial infection.

You may or may not already know that no antibiotics will affect the herpes itself. That will be controlled by the l-lysine, but he definitely needs to be on at least 500 mg a day, after your vet approves it.

He will be on l-lysine for life, but yes, I would have him retested for FeLV/FIV. A herpes test could be done too, as already mentioned.

Please keep us updated on him, what's his name?

charlie05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
His name is Charlie.

What would the practical benefit of doing a Herpes test be, considering only time will really take care of it?

The thing is the bacterial infection seems to go away as soon as he is on antibiotics, but unfortunately came back as soon as we stopped the meds. I am really more concerned about the blood issue...when i saw it the first time I ran to the emergency vet. Now, he is fortunately not sneezing blood but he has those specks of blood on his nose, and they are just not going away. On URI sites, i dont often see info about blood from sneezing so its hard to get good information about it.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Herpes is a life long controlable illness ... It never goes away but can be controlled

Have they run a culture on the "blood" or any secrections to find out if it is viral ( antibiotics dont help) , fungal or bacterial or a combo ?

Charlie may also have a allergy or sensitivity to something in his food or his enviornment

charlie05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
no they have not done any blood work or tests to confirm its herpes...all of the vets that I have been too just seem to assume it because of his symptoms. But maybe it would be a good idea to have some sort of culture run.

an allergy might be a possibility, but he had these same issues before I adopted him (my sister was fostering him and when I went to meet him he was pretty wheezy) and we have given him two different foods. I would also think if it was allergies, the antibiotics wouldnt help at all.

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts. Its so nice to have a forum to turn to for help!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
as a human with a wacky immune system ... I often have an allergy with allows a secondary and often a tritary infection to come in...

Example allergy stuffs me up and then a sinus infection occurs ... antibiotics could help the sinus infection part

charlie05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thats actually a great point. if his symptoms return after this last course of antibiotics, i will definitely ask the vet about an allergy med.

charlie05

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to update everyone on Charlie. He has been off the antibiotics for almost two weeks and is doing great! I increased his lysine too. Thanks for everyones help!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the happy update!

msnibbles

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone tried this version of l-lysine for URI?
I have been at amazon.com reading hundreds of reviews about giving l-lysine to cats. It seems that the most popluar version is the following:
3 Pack Enisyl-F Oral Paste for Cats - 300 mL

I am glad that Charlie is feeling better! I helps to read what others are doing for their cats. When URI pops up in our kitties, it is good to have lots of info.

Thanks!