Chronic rhinitis with facial asymmetry/Nasal mass

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

karen1121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Most vets have very little experience with fungal infections, you were very fortunate to have found that vet. If I may ask, what is your cats name and age? What symptoms has your cats been experiencing?

SteveT

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Cat age is uncertain because she belonged to a neighbor who passed away and we then adopted the cat. A vet estimated around age 10 or maybe a little less. All the following symptoms attributed to crypto have pretty much now disappeared: left naso-facial swelling, left eye squinting shut and leaking water continuously, oozing sores on nose + weird oozing "nodule" on top of head, frequent left nasal discharge of watery mucous occasionally streaked with blood, etc. All these diminished after 2 to 3 months of fluconazole dosage and now seem pretty much gone for good. Hopefully. Who knows?! Still, however, the cat remains tired most of the time, has poor appetite thus hard to maintain weight. Also has noisy nose breathing ("stertor" I think that's called, and may be due to crypto-related nasal polyps). Her coat of fur looks dull and thin vs. how it was pre-illness. She has good days but also still has bad days where she just sleeps literally all the time, very detached, and seems down and out. (This is a good day as she's scratching on the glass door to get out and lay in the sun on the patio.)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She has good days but also still has bad days where she just sleeps literally all the time, very detached, and seems down and out.
Loss of appetite and lethargy are possible side effects of fluconazole - I believe that is true of coat/skin condition as well. Have you talked to any of the vets about this and if these side effects are more prevalent the longer a cat takes this med, and how they will dissipate after a cat is off the meds? Might ask if there are temporary solutions in the meantime - such as an appetite stimulant and maybe omega-3 supplements added to your cat's diet.

SafariDoc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is an article about an experienced veterinarian in California who provides hands-on care and treatment to cats diagnosed with cryptococcosis.

Her name is Dr. Tracey Rossi, DVM.

Dr. Tracey Rossi also consults with Dr. Jane Sykes (who is a leading cat crypto expert at UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine).

Tenacious and Exceptional, NC State Alum’s Care Dazzles Cat's Companion

Here is another article about feline crypto, fluconazole, and lab tests that was written by Dr. Stephanie McEwan and Dr. Jane Sykes, based on the same cat featured in the article about Dr. Tracey Rossi.

Nasopharyngeal cryptococcosis in a cat: interlaboratory variation in cryptococcal antigen assay test results

Hope this information is useful!

karen1121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is an article about an experienced veterinarian in California who provides hands-on care and treatment to cats diagnosed with cryptococcosis.

Her name is Dr. Tracey Rossi, DVM.

Dr. Tracey Rossi also consults with Dr. Jane Sykes (who is a leading cat crypto expert at UC Davis School of Veterinary Medicine).

Tenacious and Exceptional, NC State Alum’s Care Dazzles Cat's Companion

Here is another article about feline crypto, fluconazole, and lab tests that was written by Dr. Stephanie McEwan and Dr. Jane Sykes, based on the same cat featured in the article about Dr. Tracey Rossi.

Nasopharyngeal cryptococcosis in a cat: interlaboratory variation in cryptococcal antigen assay test results

Hope this information is useful!
Thank you for sharing this information with me. Interesting an indoor only cat could get a fungal infection. I am still waiting for the appointment with internal medicine.

karen1121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Almond was seen last week by a new veterinarian. Her primary vet is convinced it is cancer. The new vet does not believe she has cancer. She assured me a polyp is definitely possible at her age. She helped give me additional resources, internal medicine and hospitals with CT. She added CBD and about an hour after she takes it, copious amounts of thick yellow mucus come pouring out both nostrils. The new vet said now that the inflammation is down she needs 7 days of Clavamox. Unfortunately, she is so congested she is having difficulty eating. I have tried warming her food in the microwave, but she will not eat. Started her on an appetite stimulant, but that isn’t working. I am at a loss, I don’t know what more I can do to help her. Months and months of worrying and difficulty sleeping. Almonds congestion remains constant for 4 months despite antibiotics, steroids, nasal drops. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's not much, I know. But are you trying to take her into a steamy bathroom to see if that might help with the congestion? Run hot water in the shower/tub with the door closed until it is sauna-like, sit with her in there for maybe 5 minutes, and see what happens. I'd try that before feeding her, and it may mean a few times a day.

karen1121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's not much, I know. But are you trying to take her into a steamy bathroom to see if that might help with the congestion? Run hot water in the shower/tub with the door closed until it is sauna-like, sit with her in there for maybe 5 minutes, and see what happens. I'd try that before feeding her, and it may mean a few times a day.
I will do that. I would try anything to help her feel better. Thank you

karen1121

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, on Wednesday night I could just see in her face it was time. She was showing signs of pain. The prednisolone was no longer helping. I took Almond to the vet and her sinuses were completely destroyed. Unfortunately, her vet was right. Almond had a nasal tumor. I promised her she would never suffer. I held her paw throughout. I picked her up kissed her and told her how much I loved her. This morning… the absence, the silence. I miss her so much. I have been crying non stop. I am heartbroken. I love you so much Almond. I’m so sorry I couldn’t help you. You are certainly missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.