Chronic loose stool/diarrhea

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moonpie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We are currently feeding Avoderm Select Cuts Tuna/Crab (3 oz can, 2ce daily) along with Holistic Solution powder at each feeding and we also free-feed Natural Balance green pea and duck kibble.

We are also givine a small dose of the "metro" drug every other day.

I know this is not a good long term solution, which is why I'm trying to figure out where to go next.

I believe the current diet is grain-free. I have not tried a fish-free diet.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoonPie

We are currently feeding Avoderm Select Cuts Tuna/Crab (3 oz can, 2ce daily) along with Holistic Solution powder at each feeding and we also free-feed Natural Balance green pea and duck kibble.

We are also giving a small dose of the "metro" drug every other day.

I know this is not a good long term solution, which is why I'm trying to figure out where to go next.

I believe the current diet is grain-free. I have not tried a fish-free diet.
while it is whole grain free I believe you have starches of potato and tapioca ... potato can be a allergen as can things like guar gum

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moonpie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thought I'd post an update on our kittens' chronic loose stool issues. We are finally making some progress!

Our kittens, now 16 months old (does that make them cats, or are they still kittens?) have had chronic loose stool issues since we 1st got them. Having ruled out medical issues, weâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]ve been working on dietary changes, supplements, etc. Wow – that is SO difficult!! You make a change, and then you wait, and repeat …

Last I posted, we had been keeping the loose stool under control by giving Metronidazole and also FortiFlora – which seemed counterproductive, and I didnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t want to keep giving them the meds long-term.

Since then, we have weaned them off the Metronidazole, and have changed their diet and supplements, and are cautiously optimistic that we have a solution that works for them, as well as for us.

We are now feeding a combination of several wet foods, a pre-mixed raw food, a digestive enzyme, and some kibble. It might sound complicated, but it really isn't, and best of all, it seems to be working – yea !! Good quality poop!!

Itâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s about 50% wet, 25% raw, and 25% dry, and I think it averages out to (hopeully) a low-grain, low-fish diet, reasonably well-balanced diet.

Wet foods: Instinct Prairie Homestyle stews, Taste of the Wild, Meow Mix Wholesome Goodness, and Fancy Feast pate
Raw food: Natureâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s Variety Rabbit & Venison
Dry food: Natural Balance Duck & Green Pea
ProZyme digestive enzymes

Thanks to everyone for your advice and ideas.

We are keeping our fingers crossed for continued good quality poop!

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by MoonPie

It’s about 50% wet, 25% raw, and 25% dry, and I think it averages out to (hopeully) a low-grain, low-fish diet, reasonably well-balanced diet.

Wet foods: Instinct Prairie Homestyle stews, Taste of the Wild, Meow Mix Wholesome Goodness, and Fancy Feast pate
Raw food: Nature’s Variety Rabbit & Venison
Dry food: Natural Balance Duck & Green Pea
ProZyme digestive enzymes

Thanks to everyone for your advice and ideas.

We are keeping our fingers crossed for continued good quality poop!
Congrats! Healthier poops mean healthier kitties!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have found the "rotation" diet to work best in my house too... GLAD progress is being made