Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He's not the most legitimate source. There's been much scandal about him in Canada. Dr. Andrew Jones: Selling “Secrets” and Lies finally has a price |

There's been some studies on what he's saying, such as this one: Prevalence of autoantibodies that bind to kidney tissues in cats and association risk with antibodies to feline viral rhinotracheitis, calicivirus, and panleukopenia

the result was that there was no correlation between the vaccine he discusses and CKD.

Further, the vaccine he discusses is usually recommended for cats who venture outside unsupervised or cats who have contact with foster or rescue cats, or cats who get boarded. I've never had a vet recommend this vaccine for my indoor cats. I don't see how he would be saying that when many indoor cats never get that vaccine in Canada.

However, you should always discuss if your cat should receive a vaccine with a veterinarian familiar with your cat's records. Cats with some issues may not be able to get certain vaccines.

Ivy204

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is some truth to this. Cats vaccinated yearly do have higher incidences of kidney disease. Whether that’s because of the vaccine or something else, they don’t know. Vaccine induced sarcomas are also a real issue.
The official guidance from veterinary associations is to vaccinate no more than every 3 years, which isn’t associated with kidney disease. They also suggest vaccinating based on lifestyle. If your vet is vaccinating more than every 3 years, they’re going rogue.

The best study on this is out of the UK where they don’t vaccinate for rabies.

A lot of vets are moving towards doing the kitten series, one adult booster and then not vaccinating again, except to keep up to date on rabies for indoor cats. Indoor cats don’t need Felv past the kitten series. Even then, it’s only in case they start out being indoor and then the owners let them out or they’re escape artists.

frvcp, live version, doesn’t have adjuvants and had been proven to last at least 5 years. If your cat isn’t going to cat shows or being boarded and not an escape artist, nothing wrong with not vaccinating after the kitten series and 1 year booster. That’s what I’ve chosen to do. My indoor only cat was accidentally let out by a friend who was watching him for me while I was out of town. She forgot he was indoor only and let him out with the dog. He was missing overnight and I was really glad he was vaccinated. My mom has his litter mate and she’s an escape artist. She never intended to let her outside, but she’s become a door dasher at about 2 years old.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I Ivy204 my vet doesn't do more than rabies past kitten series and my cats do go outside supervised. So yes I think vets are leaning towards less vaccines for cats at cat-conscious places.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I don't have an opinion, but I've had two kitties with CKD. One got shots regularly for most of her life, then I figured out it wasn't good for her. The other one only got her kitten shots and rabies, then nothing the rest of her life. She was 15 when she passed. So I'm not sure that you can say that vaccinations lead to kidney disease, but they could affect it.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't have an opinion, but I've had two kitties with CKD. One got shots regularly for most of her life, then I figured out it wasn't good for her. The other one only got her kitten shots and rabies, then nothing the rest of her life. She was 15 when she passed. So I'm not sure that you can say that vaccinations lead to kidney disease, but they could affect it.
I haven't seen any conclusive studies that vaccines lead to CKD, but I know there is a correlation (causation is not determined, as far as I'm aware, unless someone can link us a study).

But I did see the multiple studies on vaccine site issues for cats.