Chronic Kidney and Urinary Disease - Killing Cats Softly with Dry Food

aeroflot57

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have had cats for most of my life, but have only recently found out that the dry food I have been feeding them has been making them sick. Check out these websites:

http://feline-nutrition.org/health/diet-kidney-disease-and-the-urinary-tract

http://www.catinfo.org/?link=urinarytracthealth

There is lots more information coming out about how cats' diets contribute to damaged kidneys and other organs.

For years, Veterinarians and Pet Food Companies have been selling us a false bag of goods!

Cats are not like dogs, or humans. They are obligate carnivores.

CAT LOVERS UNITE! Demand the truth, and get educated about the foods your cat is eating vs. what they really need as obligate carnivores. If this information can save even one kitty from Chronic Kidney Disease, Urinary problems, Diabetes, or Pancreatitis, then our quest will be successful.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You will find that a lot of us feed at least some wet food, and the information you linked to is in the articles section of the site. I am happy that you are so pro-wet, but mostly you are 'preaching to the choir'. Keep trying to convert people around you, though. I am trying to get the manager of my local Walmart to get more wet food, but they just recently cut back on the ones they had and put in more dry food, mostly the cheap brands.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It's always good to get the word out, and since there are new people coming here all the time (and some old ones that still need convincing
), I sure don't mind seeing these links posted again

sweetpea24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure vets and pet food companies are solely responsible for the existence of dry food. Kibble was invented for humans' convenience. We created the demand. And unfortunately, wet or raw food isn't as affordable. But what is convenient is not always good for our cats or their humans. However, I agree that wet or raw are the best ways to feed cats. I work at a clinic where the vet thinks all cats should have some dry food, mainly for their teeth so it's always a struggle to keep my mouth shut when she recommends dry food for a cat. When I told her my CRF cat gets only cat food she asked me, "Doesn't he get any dry food?".

But kudos to the OP, more people are aware now of the negative aspects of dry food!

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am fortunate, my vet does believe that an all wet diet is better.  She isn't sold on the raw but that's okay.  I don't think it's about not seeing the health benefits its about seeing the risk.  Poor food source, poor handling, etc.  She also has a cat like mine that is a dry kibble addict and the most success like me is a small amount of wet daily.  I just finished Jackson Galaxy's book and the little tabby that is at the center of the book with Jackson Galaxy was also a kibble addict and continued to eat kibble despite Jackson Galaxy's efforts.  He also believes in a wet diet and a raw diet.  I don't feel so bad about my hopeless kibble addict when both my vet has one and Jackson Galaxy had one.

sarahliz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm currently trying to transition my cat to all wet food and it's going really well. I'm just adding the kibble as a topper at night to get rid of the rest of it.

I don't have a permanent vet right now and am really nervous about "vet shopping" as I know I'm likely to encounter vets that
A) insist on dry food and
B) think Chowder's FIV is a death sentence

I've already had a couple people say I should just have him euthanized even though he's 2 and healthy. People are crazy.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I, too, think an all dry diet is not good for cats. I had to see the "weekend vet" this past weekend, whom I've never seen before. Would you believe he recommended an all dry prescription diet for my cat with pancreatitis?