Chronic "hairball" coughing?

SamChevyNala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 9yr old female cat in excellent health. She began stress grooming after I got another cat. She's always had hairballs so I give her "paw gel" every day. The stress grooming has calmed but she still cleans enough that I've kept up with the paw gel. Within the last 4-5 weeks she has begun to have what I've always thought was a hairball coughing session, at least 1-2 times every day. The sound is a high pitched wheezing cough. I give her paw gel 2x each day now as well as a probiotic gel. Nothing has really helped. She only throws-up a hairball maybe every 7-10 days, and she eats & poops normally every day.
Should I be worried? She seems perfectly happy after the coughing - just gets back to whatever she was doing before. I can't afford the Vet unless it's really necessary. I would appreciate any thoughts/ ideas.
Thanks, Carole

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be asthma or bronchitis or other respiratory issue. A vet would be able to diagnose what the coughing is and prescribe treatment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SamChevyNala

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the reply! I hadn't though of asthma. I thought I would see phlegm / watery eyes/etc... or some other indications if it was bronchitis/upper respiratory. She really seems healthy.... I have videos and I know one of the Vet techs at my Vet office. Maybe I can ask her to take a peek before I incur the cost of a visit.
So, even if she is hunching forward neck extended when she makes the cough sound- same as she does when she is throwing-up- but her diaphragm isn't forcing stomach contents up, that is probably a respiratory issue and not hairball related?
Carole

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A video of the coughing would be helpful to the vet and give the vet an idea of what to test for when you bring the cat in.

There's a video of a cat asthma attack here: Feline Asthma with Fritz the Brave - Symptoms You can find similar videos on Youtube and other sites.

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
according do my vet ...frequent hairballs are not normal for cats and should always be a reason to investigate. Try switching to a grain free food ... many cats have some fish sensitivities too or don't do well with certain food additives ... I get a LOT of medical fosters and 90 % of them have GI or UTI issues which usually resolve with a higher quality - less ingredient food alone, some deworming or a short therapy with an antibiotic and sometimes ...living in a home with less chemical cleaners, no scented candles or room fresheners ... it is crazy what cats can react to ... one of my fosters reacted to laundry detergent as she. has the habit of licking blankets ... Over grooming can be a sign of allergies too not just stress . The most severe case of cat GI issues I saw was a cat that lived in a household where essential oils were used in a diffusor and on skin every day ...