Chronic Diarrhea

daeva

Poe <3
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! I recently got a 9 month old male Persian from a breeder in Canada. She seemed pretty reputable but ever since his arrival he’s has chronic diarrhea that nothing seems to help. Wondering if anyone has any advice..

I’ve done two courses of flagyl (no change), he tested positive for guardians so he went through another medication but that didn’t work. We changed his diet to a high fiber - science diet w/d at the recommendation of the vet (got worse), put him on wellness core raw rev also at the vet recommendation (got a little better but still has very loose stool), and now I’ve added probiotics.

Has anyone seen this before in their own cat? I feel so bad for him because he’s defintiely not happy and he keeps getting poop on his paws so I want to help him as best as i can. Thanks so much I’m advance!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS albeit I'm sorry your new male Persian kitten is having a health problem. :frown: Since you mentioned getting him from a breeder did you call them to ask about the other kittens having Giardia also? Does the breeder have a health guarantee in their contract?

Here is a helpful Article about Giardia, i.e. symptoms and treatment:
Giardia And Giardiasis In Cats

Please keep us posted on your kitten and if his situation is not showing any signs of improvement contact your vet or get a second opinion. :alright:

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be food intolerance. Are you feeding him the same thing he was eating at the breeder? I would also recommend the PCR diarrhea panel to rule out some uncommon parasites. Has he been wormed?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daeva

Poe <3
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the replies!

As far as the breeder goes, we were in contact regularly until I told her Poe was having the issue then she went into communication blackout. He had also been diagnosed with a problem with his knees and she had said, “oh well if he has to be put down I’ll give you another one.” I found that quite upsetting, just how cavalier she was about it. I’ve attempted to contact her a couple more times and there’s no answer so I’ve given up and accepted that he’s my “problem” now. Mind you, I would never dismiss him as such. He’s such a sweetie pie.

As far as deworming, he’s has two treatments of that at the vet. For the giardia, he was given metronidazole and fenbendazole (sp?) but it didn’t help. His food from the breeder was royal canin and he’d had the spraying diarrhea but since switching to the wellness core raw rev his stool is now the consistency of pudding. So there’s *some* improvement but not a lot yet.

I’m thinking give it another day since it’s only been about 2 days on this new food and if he’s not coming along I’ll see what else the vet has in mind. For now we’ve definitely bonded since he lets me clean up his little paws. At first he hated it but now he seems to get that I’m helping him avoid having to lick it off (ewwwww!)

Thank you again for the responses so far!

I’ve attached a photo of Poe so you all can see the cuteness I must endure daily. <3

Attachments

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ask the vet about probiotics. I use tummyworks from Amazon. I consider it help while i figured out what was going on. I do recommend discussing it with the vet. Just because if there's an imbalance it might not be a good idea. Poe is gorgeous.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

daeva

Poe <3
Kitten
Purraise
Ask the vet about probiotics. I use tummyworks from Amazon. I consider it help while i figured out what was going on. I do recommend discussing it with the vet. Just because if there's an imbalance it might not be a good idea. Poe is gorgeous.

Isn’t he??

I did start probiotics yesterday so I’m hoping that they’ll start to help in the next week or so.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Great! Hopefully they kick in shortly. I feel for you. My girl has some diarrhea. Hoping the both are on the mend soon.

valentine319

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you! She's a love bug. She's had stomach issues. At about 4 years allergies came on. She started scratching and pulling hair out. She always had a sensitive stomach and got tummyworks daily. It was a pain but did elimination and figured out she's allergic to fish, chicken and turkey. I make her food, trust me cat food without fish even oil is expensive. The stomach issues cleared up with the food change. She was having some eyes draining and i used too much lysine.

If the probiotic you buy doesn't help try tummyworks.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I’ve attached a photo of Poe so you all can see the cuteness I must endure daily. <3
Not only is Poe positively handsome but he reminds me a lot of my Persian guy, Carleton. :creampersian: He's my third Persian but I've found all three have had sensitive tummies at one time or another. However, it's not necessarily a trait with the breed. We adopted him from a shelter but he originally came from a terrible hoarder so not the best of situations in his early life. It may take awhile to get Poe on the right track but if he's not showing improvement definitely talk with your vet.

I would like to commend you for sticking by Poe in spite of the lack of professionalism and communication on the part of the breeder. I understand how much you have fallen in love with him and care about his well being. :hugs: